Pilot house ventilation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to ventilate my cabin. I use dessacants but they don't seem to do the job 100%. I'm noticing some mold spots and a bit of corrosion on the window frame. Biggest problem is that in the winter my boat is in Florida and I am 1500 miles away and may leave the boat for 2 weeks unattended. Don't really want to leave a fan running and not into cutting a 4" hole in my cabin for a solar fan. Anybody come up with any good ideas that work ? Thanks !

My boat is stored in Florida and installed Beckson vents in the cabin ports and took an old pie plate and added a solar fan. It is the cockpit and throws air to the outside and pulls some air from the closed cabin.We remove all cushions, open the rode hatch, tinted film on side windows and windshield sunscreen (a little to short but it s was free and hasn't deteriorated to date but will be replaced with a better fittedone day) or other hatches in the cabin. You need to remove stuff, open up drawers and hatches and ventilate.

Brent":3j5pztml said:
My boat is stored in Florida and installed Beckson vents in the cabin ports and took an old pie plate and added a solar fan. It is the cockpit and throws air to the outside and pulls some air from the closed cabin.We remove all cushions, open the rode hatch, tinted film on side windows and windshield sunscreen (a little to short but it s was free and hasn't deteriorated to date but will be replaced with a better fittedone day) or other hatches in the cabin. You need to remove stuff, open up drawers and hatches and ventilate.
Thanks Brent. Mind explaining a little more. What cabin ports did you put the vents in ? Solar fan in deck ventilates the cabin ? My rode hatch drains to the bilge so I can't do that.
Thanks for your help !

Having a windshield cover made & going to tint the Windows. Unfortunately the beckson vents don't fit my windows. Would like to circulate some air. Anyone else cone up with something ? Thanks again !

Brent":1qmdau3w said:
What size are your windows?

How about shades?
http://www.seaworthygoods.com/

How is the boat stored? open in a lot, lift with canopy, boat cover, under an awning?

Thanks, I would use those however it often rains sideways in Florida and those will let rain in. That is a problem if I'm not there for 2-3 weeks. The inserts make it very difficult to let rain in.

I dont know your port window dimensions but mine fit perfectly

Sizes
Double Louver
Model No.
IRS-414S for 4 x 14 opening ports
IRS-512S for 5 x 12 opening ports
IRS-714S for 7 x 14 opening ports
Single Louver
Model No.
IRS-310S for 3 x 10 opening ports
IRS-410S for 4 x 10 opening ports

Leaving the anchor rode hatch open helps a lot to dry out and reduce odors if the rode is wet

Brent":stugtz7m said:
I dont know your port window dimensions but mine fit perfectly

Sizes
Double Louver
Model No.
IRS-414S for 4 x 14 opening ports
IRS-512S for 5 x 12 opening ports
IRS-714S for 7 x 14 opening ports
Single Louver
Model No.
IRS-310S for 3 x 10 opening ports
IRS-410S for 4 x 10 opening ports

Leaving the anchor rode hatch open helps a lot to dry out and reduce odors if the rode is wet

They fit the old style Windows but not the newer bowmar ones , I wish they did

I installed a set of the seaworthy rain shields in 2013, they apply with an adhesive tape. three years later they still look great and have never gotten loose. the most important thing is I have left the port windows open now 365 days a year for three years and never had a problem with rain or moisture from snow getting in.. and in Baltimore we get more than our share of driving thunder storms. Its nice getting on the boat without that musty smell from being closed up. For about 60 bucks its worth a try. I also installed a dorado vent at Dales recommendation

Attachments

• IMAG1453.jpg
    IMAG1453.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 452
  • IMAG0768.jpg
    IMAG0768.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 449
  • IMAG0770.jpg
    IMAG0770.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 449
In my 2120 cabin, I always have three "damp rid" bags suspended when the boat is not in use. One hangs from the steering wheel, one from the passenger side grab bar beneath the port forward windscreen window and one suspended from a chord from the pop up window on the trunk cabin. I started this 3 years ago, the boat looks and smells new. No cutting, no modifying the boat, just replace the damp rid bags every 60 days. Works like a charm. Had my Parker surveyed yesterday then sold it. The surveyor commented on the new appearance and smell of the entire vessel, and particularly the cabin.

x2 on the damp rids. I keep 2 in the cabin at all times and change them out when they get full. The duration varies on how much moisture is in the air. During the winter, I'd check them monthly if didn't get out before then. They have made a huge difference. I had a pretty bad mildew and mold problem on the carpet down in the bunk area that turned out to be caused by a poor seal where the horn wires came through the roof. It had apparently been leaking for over a year until I found it when we got caught out in the rain. I had the cabin carpeting professionally cleaned and treated (which Parker refused to pick up the entire tab, but my dealer did) with a mildew preventative treatment. I have had zero problems since the fix and feel the damp rid not only keeps the moisture at bay, but also keep it smelling fresh.

Back