pilothouse trumpet horns

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will second the Boeshield, for 4 seasons it worked great although I also shot the horns with wd-40 on occasion as well.

What do you guys recommend to help the horns last as long as possible? Mine are still new and work “okay” for now. They’re definitely not as loud as I thought they would be. They LOOK loud, lol. Anyway, WD40 or T-9? I think the WD40 would probably gum up less.

Dom

Recommend fresh water washdown, including spraying fresh water directly into the trumpets, after every boat use....

I'm a little skeptical about spraying stuff down the trumpet... I've taken these things apart and there is a solid diaphragm down there. The mechanical/electrical part is behind that diaphragm. On the ones I've seen, the actual horn is in a well sealed capsule. I like the idea of an air horn - think I'll shop for that. This is a horrible environment for an electro-mechanical device.

Here is a photo of my aiming the dual horn setup downward on the cabin top about 3 years ago.

Mentioned before somewhere else that got them to last past their warranty and don't have to spray inside them.

Horn is mounted on a plastic wedge.

Originally on a '06 had an AFI dual with the center support of the two horns with one screw and switched to a dual horn compact AFI so wouldn't interfere with aiming it slightly down.

Shows two GPS sensors on the roof handrail behind it.

Dana

Attachments

• DSC02337 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02337 (Medium).JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 5,827
Stonebuster, I have a shot of the original horn, not the greatest view but shows it flat, the dual AFI with the front bracket support of the two horns (can't see it), but you can see how much aim difference there is now. Photo is from 1999, don't have a good digital one since then.

Made wedge with hole in it to pull wired up through and holes to mount to hardtop, then had holes to mount the horn to the wedge.

Wedge is 3 1/2" long x 4 1/4" wide. Front height is 1" and rear height is 1 1/2". Did the change in July 2002, and the AFI dual compact A-23 horn is still good.

Dana

Attachments

• parke004 from bow (Medium).jpg
    parke004 from bow (Medium).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 5,798
dcunniff, I had the AFI horns on my last Parker went through 2 sets and finally gave up. I used to spray W-D into the second set, but they only made it one season. I may put my horns on more of an angle since I often take alot of water over the top on long trips. Also may try putting a stainless screen at the bottom of the trumpet where it gets narrow to deflect some of the water. I was going to try and find a block of starboard for the wedge. Where did you get the plastic to make the wedge?

Stonebuster, I have a local machinist for my work that I had make it.

He used UHMWPE, or more simply called UHMW sometimes (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.

You would get it at a local plastic sheet and rod supplier.

The manufacturer, King Plastics makes one of the sheets to 1 1/2" thick, see this link, http://www.kingstarboard.com/products/StarBoard.aspx.

Here's their FAQ's, http://www.kingstarboard.com/InfoCenter/FAQ.aspx.

Their website has a distributor locator by state where you can select a marine retailer.

Here are the two that come up for CT. Palco is actually in MA. Marisafe is a FL store with web ordering and I've not used them.

Marisafe
866-362-7472
Primary Contact:

www.marisafe.com

Palco Plastics
Whitman
781-447-0064
Primary Contact:

Marinesafe.com listed sheets up to 1/4" on their main list. West Marine's catalog lists up to 3/4" and maybe you could double up some thicknesses.

My machinist has bought from Palco as an example.
Here's the list for general marine for Ct.

Curbell Plastics
Windsor
800-637-2763
Primary Contact:

GE Polymershapes
Hamden
203-288-1641
Primary Contact:

Kellogg Marine Supply
Old Lyme
860-434-6002
Primary Contact:

Laird Plastics
E Windsor
800-873-8410
Primary Contact:

Palco Plastics
Whitman
781-447-0064
Primary Contact:

Dana

stonebuster":2yln20hw said:
dcunniff, I had the AFI horns on my last Parker went through 2 sets and finally gave up.

Add to that the -two- sets I went through after I bought your last Parker. That makes FOUR sets of horns in her relatively young life! :shock: And my last set of Onaga's weren't cheap! Other makes of boats can't be having the same problems that we do with trumpet horns, otherwise boaters wouldn't continue to buy them year after year like we have to.

My theory about the Pilothouse Horn mystery is that it's all about elevation above sea level. One of the best things about my Parker Pilothouse is that because of the "step-down" recessed design, I get a "full" pilothouse in a relatively low profile. Which is great for me because I have to pass under two draw bridges to get out to Mass Bay. With my antenna and flagpole ratcheted down, I am about 7.5 feet above sea level (Raydome adds a foot) and can sneak under the draws without the delay of calling for an opening on all but a few astonomical tides.

This low-profile however, puts the trumpet horns at about 6 feet above sea level. Well within the full saltwater spray zone on even a moderately choppy/windy day. Most other vessels that would use the large dual-trumpet horns have them mounted higher off the water. You generally see the bigger dual-trumpts mounted on fly-bridges at elevations of 8-9' or more. This takes them out of the "strike zone" of full impact saltwater dunking that we routinely take at 6 feet.

My plan is to use an air-horn design and get all electronics off the roof of the pilothouse. The problem with the air horns is that the clear soft plastic air hose included with the horns has too large an OD for my taste. I don't want to drill a 3/8 hole in my roof if I can avoid it. I am trying to find a hard plastic tubing with thinner walls that is rated for the same PSI as the clear plastic tubing that comes with the horns. I'd like to get the OD down to the same size as the wiring that went up through the roof to feed the old electrical horns.

I'll also use the wedge trick that Dcunniff has employed.

Thanks guys for all the ideas.

John

Decisions, Decisions....

Help me out here guys.....

Here is a single trumpet Marinco/AFI chrome over brass air horn that is 9.5 inches long and is rated at 126 decibels

65_2.jpg

Here is what it sounds like

(make sure your PC sound is turned on)

630 HZ

Here is a single trumpet Marinco/AFI chrome over brass air horn that is 17 inches long and is rated at 120 decibels

5342840.jpg

Here is what -it- sounds like

315 HZ

What say ye?

I am leaning towards the 315hz model myself. 8)

And I think I like Dale's suggestion about mounting it pointing downward/forward on the Stbd forecabin between the windshield and the side window.

John

Do you guys think that the air horn vs. the Angaro type will have a longer life in the marine envirnment? My gut tells me that if you don't cut down on the amount of water these horns swallow on a rough day, none will last too long. On the other hand I had a 17ft. 1962 lapstrake boat that had a manual plunger air horn that was working 15 yrs. later. A freind gave me a piece of round material for the wedge today and I will be trying that soon. :wink:

Your personal choice on the two air horns. I listened to both.

If it was me I would pick on decibels.

Dana

The new Ongaro dual trumpets , 301 stainless inside and out guareenteed for 5 years are what I opted for. Has anyone had these fail?

stonebuster":3px52jrf said:
The new Ongaro dual trumpets , 301 stainless inside and out guareenteed for 5 years are what I opted for. Has anyone had these fail?

Not yet... but I'm only on my second year with them.

Well, my second set just went. The originals lasted 6 years, the replacement lasted less than 2 years. Both were Signaltones from Fiamm.
I still have the original box and receipt. The box says "lifetime warranty" so I'll give that a shot.

Back