Portable fresh water system

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker 2310

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

My boat slip has had the fresh water turned off for the season, but i am still in the water and plan to continue to finsh until January. My problem is that i fludh the engine every time i return from sea with fresh water and Salt-Away. Now that i have no fresh water, i am looking for a solution. i only have raw water onboard and not yet installed any fresh water tanks. Any ideas on what i can do between now and when i pull her out? thanks

Walt

as an idea for no fresh water dock: get one of those clear 5 gal jugs that you might use camping for water, rig hose, fill this with salt away and water to flush or at least get some salt away in the head. I used a flush kit for inboards that came with a jug to do the same. Not sure if freezing if a concern, maybe flush with some non toxic anti freeze.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=555

520411.jpg

Ive seen people do it with a 5 gallon bucket with a bilge pump in it. but if its only for a month then i would just go without flushing it.

I'd be more concerned with cleaning the boat up after a fishing trip. You're not cleaning it with your raw water washdown are you?

No i am not using salt water to wash it down. Actually they just turned off the dock water last week and i have not been out fishing since. But i am off from work fomr the 23rd until Jan 4th and was hoping to get a few trip in. It may be time to invest in a freshwater tank and 12v pump. i can mount it in the back of the truck for now and install it on the boat next summer. that would solve the problem for the long term.

Walt

Personally I wouldnt worry too much about it for a month. The salt wont hurt the fiberglass and the metal if you want get some woody wax or something and wipe it down. I wonder if you can get those clorox wipes but in some kind to wipe down metal? Anyways if you get fish guts your raw water washdown will be fine. Just clean it good before you put it up for winter run some salt away through the engine and youre fine.

My marina turns off the water and puts antifreeze in the lines by the calendar (Nov 1st), rather than by the temp. :evil:

However, since they use their travel lift all winter, the power washer is still operational.
After they use the power washer, they shut off the water and drain the line, but one of the yard guys showed me how to get water to the power washer supply bib... :)

This time of year, I stretch multiple garden hoses from the power washer supply bib to my boat. 8)
When I'm done, I make sure I turn off the water supply and drain the line.

Might be an option for you if the yard still has a water source available nearby. :wink:

I made a freshwater tank for my boat 9 years ago. It's still getting the job done today. I made it out of epoxy coated plywood - to fit a specific unused area of my boat (not a Parker). We not only use the water for drinking/dishes, but also for fresh water showers and brake rinse. I never thought about using it to flush the motor, but then again I trailer and flush when I get home.

The point is, that it's relatively easy to make your own custom freshwater tank and it can have many uses.

I did it!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your response. Today i purchased a SUREflo freshwater 3.0 pump, a new 25' water hose and two 7 Gallon fresh water tanks. West marine has a 15 % off sale that got the price down to $110 and the two tanks were a total of $ 24 at Kmart. So tonight i rigged it up as a portable and can power it with a portable power block i keep in the truck. i used it tonight with a garden hose and it did just fine. So i now have fresh water to wash down and flush my engine, i feel much better. I will mount the pump in the boat this winter while i am out of the water as i plan to install a small sink. While I was out, i also purchased an SE 500 solar panel to help keep my batteries charged since the electric is off as well. Now i am good to go. thanks again everyone.

Walt

Attachments

• SHURflo Aqua King 30 fresh water pump.jpg
    SHURflo Aqua King 30 fresh water pump.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 817
How many watts is the SE500? Do you have a charge controller hooked up to it?

-Mark

Back