Pre-purchase advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hungry Fish

Reaction score
Hello Classic Parker!!!
I am getting ready to close a deal on a new 2501. I am looking for any feedback from anyone that has experience on the 2501. Also if anyone purchased one and after the fact felt like they should have added an accessory or changed something on the boat during purchase please let me know.

Its a 2501 with Yam 200's, open bow.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Are you ordering a boat or buying existing inventory? I have a 25SE. Here is what I would have changed.

Rod holder/ cleat combo in the stern is a pain. You cannot have a rod in place and tie up at the same time. Its a weird shape to tie a rope to and hard to lift up. I would have regular pop-up cleats placed aft, with rod holders just in front of those cleats. This would also make a good attachment point for flatline clips or rod leashes. The regular pop-up cleats are actually very nice.

2 bow cleats to the side, as opposed to 1 in the middle. I actually had this done after the fact to make room for a trolling motor. Also makes tying up easier.

More rod holders on each side - I have 4 on each side and it is a game changer for fishing. Would consider even more. The Parker rod holders very decent for the cost.

Delete head. It is basically just a porta-potti with a pump out tubing. The issue is that it is not some nice, perfectly sealed tank, and you could never actually fully empty it by pump out. I would just have a regular porta-potti if you want one, and not have an extra hole in your deck. Also not worth the cost, when you could just buy the porta-potti for $50.

The underwater lights aren't good, and will break on you. That said, they aren't that expensive and covered under warranty. I would probably still get them if you have any interest in underwater lights, just to have the factory wiring/rigging in place. You could always swap out for a better light later.

Thanks Johnkn, Brent and Sailphish.

Sailphish the boat is an in-stock unit. I already have them adding 6 more rod holders. Thanks for all the input.
Whats your fuel burn on the SE? How does it handle the chop?
Going on a sea trial tomorrow. I've was on the fence between the SE and the 2501. I fish our sound a lot now but really want to get into more offshore so I opted for the 2501.

Thanks again

On the 25SE with F300:

3500rpm = 26mph = 2.8mpg
4000rpm = 30mph = 2.4mpg
5800rpm = 46mph = 1.4mpg (light load, perfect conditions, everything trimmed way up)

For my purposes the SE is adequately powered with the 300. The DV was underpowered, and needs the twin 200s.

SE pounds a bit in chop, but it is manageable if we trim the bow down and slow down. We fish anywhere from 2ft water to offshore. Its a very versatile boat. I am heading out about 50nm in the morning. Still, if you are going with twins, I think the DV is the way to go as it is a better offshore platform.

Sailphish due you happen to know what your cockpit depth is?
Wife and I are still debating whether to get the SE or the 2501.
She is concerned of the depth because we have a 6 year old. My dealer doesn't have an SE to check as they literally sold their last one the day we looked at the 2501.

Again, Thanks for your help.

I am almost sure the 25SE and 25DV have the exact same dimensions and gunwale height - just vary in the deadrise. This is different than the 23 where the SE and DV are different boats entirely. I climbed all over a 25DV right next to my 25SE, and don't remember there being any noticeable difference. They are VERY deep boats. I am 6'3" and can barely touch the water when reaching over the side. We have 2 and 4 year olds and the boat does a great job containing them. Only safety concern with the kids is there will be exposed screws underneath the deck cap. I just put a dab of 4200 on each of them in case one of the kids reaches underneath.

Make a deal and get them to throw in bottom paint, full tank of fuel, first 25 hour check for free

I worked in a full tank of fuel, 6 more parker rod holders (installed), a custom fabric matched cushion for a 160 qt. Yeti and bottom paint at half price.

Back