Prop ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deltajoe

Reaction score
I got the standard black yamaha prop on my 250, I don't even know what size or pitch it is ? I got a feeling that it is NOT the right prop tp push my 2320 SC ? We were doing around 4800 rpms and my speed was around 31mph I was told my parker would run around 50mph I felt the dealer was
feeding me a line of BS. But I thought it should run maybe low 40s?
And yes it was almost flat when I ran here. Any Help from you prop masters?
Thanks,
Joe

Something's not right. You can pull the prop and get size from back side.

Goggle Yamaha Motors, find "marine" and continue to Yamaha Performance Bulletins. Should be able to find your Parker and Yamaha combo. My experience is the bulletins are dead on the money.

I would not spend $ with others until the Parker/Yamaha combo you have runs close to the bulletin.

Your boat will do 47/48 mph with a 3 blade 15 1/4 19 pitch SWS yamaha prop, or same size Merc Mirage Plus.

If you use a four blade Merc Rev 4 19 pitch you will achieve similar numbers but will have less slip and plane faster and stay on plane at a lower speed. WOT is 47/48 mph 5800 rpm with a medium load aboard

If you run your boat very heavy (lots of people/gas/gear) then the Merc Rev 4 17 pitch might be a better choice but with slightly lower mid range and top speed results.

Try to take back the prop the dealer gave you and get a credit or another prop. The black POS they give you does get the motor to 6000 rpm but is inadequate diameter wise for pushing the hull through any kind of substantial seastate. There is just not enough blade on the water to take advantage of the torque of the f250.

jim

We had similar problems with new 2320 sc with F225. You should be rev limited around 6100 RPM and getting mid to upper 40s for speed - probably closer to 50 with your 250. It finally took a Yamaha rep spending two days working on ours to get it right and they never gave a satisfactory explanation of what the problem was, but they gave us a Saltwater series stainless prop. Our motor seemed to be running on 5 cylinders - sounded like a diesel work boat. Put your hand on the cowl and you could feel it throbbing, missing. The noise and vibration were accentuated in the cabin. Everybody who rode on the boat commented on the poor performance. Depth finders and radar/GPS screens vibrated so badly they were difficult to use. The Yamaha rep told use he tried six different props before picking one that made the boat meet the Parker/Yamaha performance specs for the boat. I would say invest in a good prop (Merc 4-blade?) and then continue troubleshooting if you have problems.

I just picked up my new boat for a sea trial a few hours ago and noticed it had the "black" prop on it. ( It did not have the prop on it when I first saw it). Anyway, I told him I was expecting a stainless steel prop per the buyers order. He told me that the black prop IS stainless steel, but it's powdercoated. Not sure about that but it ran fine on the sea trial.

Maybe I don't know what to expect....

Your dealer's right, the black prop is stainless steel. As the finish wears, you'll see some surface rust. It's normal. My $500+ Rev 4 prop also has surface rust.

I believe you need to look past your prop (assuming you have the prop Parker reccomends for your boat) for your performance problem.

The Yamaha Black steel series props are not POS's, they are simply another alternative to use on your motor. A black steel prop may or may not be the best match for your motor. Consult with the Yamaha performance bulletins, other owners here on CP, and your dealer. If you are still having problems get in touch with Parker.

If you decide to do some prop testing, try eBay as a source for props. I have found new in the original box Yamaha props for less than $100. Trade them with friends, sell the ones you don't like. Settle on the best for your situation and keep a spare onboard the boat with another castle nut, washer and key.

Folks often get a new boat and blame the prop for all kinds of performance problems. Compare to the performance bulletins and unless there are significant issues like Mr. Anderton's, don't be too quick to jump on the 'Holy Grail of Props' train. My own experience was similar to several others when my F150 did not rev up beyond 4900 rpm when new. After break-in the motor gained about 200 rpm but it became apparent that a change in props was necessary. I ditched the Yamaha polished steel for a pair of black steel props, each one having different characteristics, yet allowing the motor to come close to maximum (6000). I have been satisfied with these props, even though they don't look as good as the shiny ones. Other owners of the same boat (2120) and motor configuration did not have the same results and preferred the prop i had originally. Too each boat its own prop I guess!

If you are really starved for reading material you can check out my own web page on this at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~streagle/PrkrProp.html

I ended up using the 15-1/4X15 most of the time and using the 13-3/4x17 as my spare. Both yield excellent results for me but the larger diameter handles better at cruise in the ocean, which is where I do most of my fishing.

A lot can ride on how a boat is used, loaded, driven, etc. Testing different props is a drawn out process but can yield significant benefits. Good luck with your search.

Don't hesitate to call Parker at 252 728 5621 and ask the receptionist to transfer you to the guy who runs their performance tests. I believe his first name is Eric. But first pull your prop and on the hub that seats against the lower unit will be stamped the diameter and pitch.

Once you have the correct prop size go back to the dealer and get a replacement.... and at no cost to you.

Good luck

Ray

Parker ships the 2320 with either the the black steel 15 x17 or black steel 14 1/2 x 19. Based on the report of 4800 rpm = 31 mph then you more than likely have the 15 x 17.

With regards to the 2320, this wheel (no pun intended) does not need to be reinvented. Save some $$ and get the right prop the first time. You can figure it out by reading the numerous posts on this subject.

jim

Back