Quick Question - Trailer Capacity

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channel_surfer

Reaction score
Hey,

Looking at trailers for our 2520. What's the minimum recommended carrying capacity for a trailer for the 2520 with F225, full tank of gas, and minimal amount of gear? I'm thinking 7000 but what is the general consensus?

Too low! You're trailer weight itself is a factor in the 'total carrying capacity' of the trailer. I think I'd be inclined to list 8500# or more :shock: as 'minimum'.

Caveat ... or truth in disclosure ;) ... says the guy who himself has only a 7K rated trailer. I added some bogie wheels, V-supports, et al, and it is always stored so the wheels/axles are off the ground, all weight bearing on the trailer frame. But please keep in mind that I DO NOT trailer my boat. If she moves < 80' in and < 80' out for the season - it was a good year ;) !

OK. I was using the term capacity as the carring weight of the trailer, not including the weight of the trailer. For example, a trailer with a capacity of 7000 might weight up to 9000 when you take into account the weight of the trailer. Most specifications seem to be given as such.

Plus, I don't have 1500 pounds of TEAK on my boat!!! :)

Thanks for the input Dale. So, would a trailer rated to carry 7000 pounds be sufficient in your opinion?

And I too would be using the trailer for winter storage and hauling. Maybe the occasional pre or post season trip up to 100 miles or so but I doubt it.

I think my 2520XLD with twin 150's, tower, bait tank, full tank of gas , all the extra tackle and rods and the trailer is somewhere in the neighborhood of 11K. It actually might be slightly more. I plan on having it weighed at a certified scale in the near future. Something that really helps with towing is I use a weight distributing hitch rated at 12K with a 14K ball. My GMC 2500HD diesel pulls it with no problem. Just a bit of info...

channel_surfer":3jix9ef7 said:
Plus, I don't have 1500 pounds of TEAK on my boat!!! :)
Haha :) ! OK, you got me ...

So, would a trailer rated to carry 7000 pounds be sufficient in your opinion?

I'd think so. I tell you, this entire topic intrigues me so much that I started weighing EVERYTHING aboard the boat this season, that she carries for normal gear. This does not include me, ice, crew, or specialized (read toona) fishing gear, or personal gear the crew brings.

When a boat Mfg states "dry weight", I wonder if it includes standard rigging items like the wiring and hydraulic steering et al. Some think it is just the finished hull (with rubrail and windows) as it comes out of the mold. Does anyone REALLY know with Parkers :?: ?

Here's a breakdown of my 'big girl' so far ... no wonder she isn't a speedboat :shock: ! Most items were weighed otr taken from Mfg's specs. Quite illuminating - no?

Item Pounds
Anchor, Chain, & Rode - Backup (180') 50
Anchor, Chain, & Rode - Main (500') 80
Batteries, 2 Group 24 @ 45# 90
Boat Hook 4
Cables & Wiring 40
Cleaning Supplies - Brushes, Mops, Juices, & Rags 10
Cooler, 124 quart - Empty 20
Ditch Bag & Safety Gear 16
Electronics (radar, VHF, GPS) 25
Engine Controls and Cables 26
Fenders - 4 @ 1.5 6
Fire Extinguishers, 3 @ 3:15 9
First Aid Kit 2
Fishing - Gaffs & Net 5
Fishing - Handtools (pliers, scales, lippers) 17
Fishing - Misc Tackle 25
Fishing - Rods 60
Fishing - Tackle Locker and Goodies 40
Fishing - Weights 5
Flashlights, searchlights, & misc manuals 14
Freshwater Tank, Tank plus 9 gals @ 8# 80
Fuel Tank, 126 gals x 6.2 781
Galley - Sink, Stove, & Wood 100
Galley - Supplies 10
Hull, Dry Weight 3500
Hydraulic Steering Helms & Cables 45
Instruments 5
Life Preservers, Type 1 (5) @ 1:12 9
Life Preservers, Type 1, 8 @ 13 oz 7
Lines - Spare (dock, towing, misc) 20
Oil - Tank and 2-gallons oil 15
Outboard Motor - 225hp 25" Johnson 460
Outriggers - Bases & Poles 60
Personal Gear 200
Porta-Potti 12
Prop - Main (Stainless Steel) 12
Prop - Spare (Aluminum) 7
Pulpit - Wood 25
Pumps & Hoses 30
Radar Dome 8
Rocket Launcher 6
Steering Wheels, (2), 13" & 15" SS Destroyer 12
Swim Platform - Teak Wood & SS Supports 120
Toe Holders 10
Tools 10
SUB-TOTAL 6078

This gets talked about a lot.

Is good to have about 10% minimum extra capacity in your trailer rating for your combined boat and everything on it. This is if you can as there are different ranges in capacity by trailer vendors.

Then add in your trailer weight and truck gear, people and truck weight to see where you fall versus your GVWR.

I have a 2530 with a 7400 lb trailer and I would go higher if done again. At the time it was the biggest trailer one company made.

Dana

Gotta agree with the guys. The cost of that extra weight capacity is not a lot more....until you add an axle. When you start looking for 9k plus in weight, you may want to think about a triple axle. A 7k trailer isn't going to cut it...

i have a 2520scdv with twin 150s. The trailer i first had rated for 7000lbs,actually was breaking its springs sitting in the driveway. I only used the trailer to fuel the boat. I had the springs fixed twice before i replaced trailer with a 10,000 lbs tri axle, which pulls way better. The price for the second trailer was only 500 difference

Back