Radar Antenna Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tara11

Reaction score
What is the difference between a radome and a open array for the radar, if you had a choice, witch one would be better, I do not know the difference in the two, my thoughts are one is way better, the open array, anyone care to explain the difference :)

Forgetting power for a second, the biggest difference is the abilty to separate targets. Meaning, with the shorter bandwidth of a radome, 2 boats immediately adjacent to each other would look like 1 return on the radome, but as 2 distinct returns on the open array.

If to 'see' when you can't see ... all you really need is a radome. And FORGET about distance claims, radar are line of sight so just how high the unit is mounted above sealevel (and how high the 'target' return is) is arguably THE biggest determinant on performance.

Now with that said, if determined to use it for fishing and the find flocks of birds that could be on or over fish ... most would opine a 4 kW unit of open array design as the minimum.

I have a Powertboat Reports test on radars, though a few years old, click here.

If you want to find the birds, then the common recommended minimum seems to be 6kw open array. If you are not going to spend that kind of money, then a 2kw dome will do fine for cruising and getting to/from the fishing grounds.

It all comes down to what do you need it to do.

Dave

aka

Craig,

A radome is basically just a small open array inside a dome “cover”. It has to shoot through the dome, which is not as good as an open array version that does not. The dome works well for small boats, as the moving parts are inside and less likely to get damaged.

I have a Furuno 4 kw radome, and from what I’ve seen on friends boats it is much better then a 2 kw unit. I know an open array is still better yet, but I didn’t think it was necessary for me. And I still don’t. I am very happy with my radar. I can see every little buoy and mooring although if you remember I did mount my radar up higher then most on our size boats. Unless you need to see birds, which is a whole different ballgame in my opinion, I would think a 4 kw radome would be just fine.

By the way it was great seeing you and your wife at the island Saturday. Hope you found some fish. We got a few dodo's out around the Avalon bank.

I'm holding out for a Furuno 1932MK2 Radar with a 3.5' open array...
... when my money tree blooms. :(

Can I wait by that tree with you :) I would love and open array, but for the one I was looking at, it is about $5,500, :( So not any time soon ! The Furuno with the 10 inch screen looks sweet !

John,
It is always good to see a smiling face, glad you got some fish, we had a blast diving, my son has taken a liking to skin diving, and I am very happy, so I see shooting fish in the future, maybe in a year or so, he is only 10, but he is a trooper, we will head back out next Wed for 5 days before the wife and son have to go back to work, my work lets me boat more :) Hooping is coming !

Back