Radar images

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddahB

Reaction score
I have Raymarine equipment. Do other manufacturers radar systems have difficulty picking up "no wake" plastic barrels and channel markers that do not have reflective materials on them. Thanks.

have you tried playing with the gain? At 1/4mi you could pick that stuff up if the gain is tuned right.

On my old headboat the JRC i used if tuned properly would pick up lobster / conch trap flags (not radar reflecting high flyers mind you, literally just a stick with a flag)

My Furuno radar picks up everything. I pick up those plastic barrels, I pick up sticks with no beacon on it. Ive even picked up small breakers in the inlet at night ... that was fun ... my brother in law says "whats that interference on the radar". I said not sure, then he says "whats that sound outside? Sounds like breakers" Next thing I know, I hit bottom in low water. It seems I missed the channel marker. The radar was telling me I was heading for them, I justs didnt process the information properly. Lot learned that day but we'll save that for another thread.

I think you might want to try manually adjusting the gain. You might be in some auto-gain mode and not seeing them. Unless you are running too bow high and your range is set close. Maybe you want to try setting at rest near one and play with the radar to see what it takes to pick it up.

bdgrbu":36pm0gwf said:
Maybe you want to try setting at rest near one and play with the radar to see what it takes to pick it up.

That is what I would do.

Thanks for all your help. Yes I'm running in an "auto mode" , but it does pick up things like sticks used as temp channel markers in the bay so I assumed it was sensitive enough. I'll have to pull it off auto and set the gain manually. Thanks again...

I have Raymarine radar equipment and it picks up the small no-wake, crab-line, and other small buoys. I leave it on auto most of the time unless it gets windy and I receive a lot of returns from the top of the waves. I have a 4KW dome antenna. The unit was purchased in 2002, and is a CRC80 (color radar and chartplotter) unit. I also have a grayscale RC-755 Fish Finder/Chartplotter. Both units have chartplotter capability so if one died, I could move the CMap-NT chip to the other unit and keep going. I almost always move the radar display off the color unit and onto the grayscale unit, and move the chart and fish finder onto a split screen on the color unit.

Dave

Back