rec. procedure/s? transom screws & running transducer ca

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. John Deering

Reaction score
what do you think? REF: 23 se

1. changing depth finder. should the old transducer screw holes be filled with a) marine-tex, b) 4200/5200, c) two part west marine epoxy (pre-mix in a syringe)? d) or a combination of above?

2. this time i will add a 1" piece of starboard (guess it comes in 1" thickness; if not, i guess i'll put 2 half inch pieces together?) ) to the transom for mounting the new transducer. should i put some 4200/5200 under the new starboard which will cover the old transducer holes?

3. running new cable? all of my old wiring running to the back of the boat went through the rigging tube. this time i think i will run new transducer over the gas tank cavity up to where the rigging tube ends inside the console. what do you think?

ps. please don't tell me to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat

As far as the holes, The best would be epoxy thickend with cabosil applied with a syringe to make sure there are no voids. Also open up the holes a little with a countersink bit or larger drillbit. Like this but without the hardware.....

use-20.gif

The rest of the plan sounds good. :D

Capt. John Deering":3vhvjls2 said:
ps. please don't tell me to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat

Too funny! :lol:

What sounder and transducer are you upgrading to Cap?

hi kevin, raymarine, combo unit (depth/gps chart) not sure which one. will keep my sitex cv106 sounder and sitex chartplotter. selling backup lowrance.

Capt:

I myself don't use Marine-tex anymore as I for one find the mixing ratio to be extremely difficult to be assured off in such small quantities. I use Raka epoxies (2-to-1 mix) and they are 1/3rd to 1/2 the price of West Systems and don't need expensive mixing nozzles or pumps.

You could also use that epoxy putty stick where you cut off a piece, knead it together to activate and then apply into the holes. You would need to mechanically ram it into the holes though. Even a thinned coat of waterproof 2-part epoxy would protect the core, then apply the thicker stuff.

Capt. John Deering":3863gzmf said:
thanks guys, dale called larry @ raka (772-489-4070) bought small kit $18.00, very knowledgable guy.

Great going! There is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much you can do with that inexpensive Raka kit! If you need any filler, PM me, I can send you a small amount of micro-balloons or cabosil.

I have to try this Raka epoxy. I've been giving my money to West System. Good stuff, but not cheap.

Back