Reglassing an old 18

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr

Reaction score
I have a 1994 18 footer with a 2004 115 Yamaha with a ton of hours. The hull is sound but there are a ton of spider web cracks not to mention gouges in the gel coat. The motor is getting more and more temperamental. I would love a new boat but with multiple college tuition bills I can't see myself getting into a new ride anytime soon. I was thinking maybe I could have the hull fixed up and put a new 115 four stroke on. That would get me at least past college and then maybe I'll get a new ride. Ball park what does it cost to have a old beat up hull cleaned up. I have a pretty good idea what a new four stroke will cost. Opinions?

I don't know.

But try this site Downeastboatforum

these guys tear down and rebuild boats all the time and would be a huge source for anything like this project and supplies needed.

Depends on the nature of the damage. Those spider cracks are probably cosmetic. And minor gouges don't do anything structurally. If you can live with them there is probably no structural reason to do anything. I would be way more concerned about the condition of the plywood in the transom, cockpit sole, etc. And the aluminum fuel tank. At 20 years old, the tank is probably at the end of its life.

I know it sounds like an unnecessary expense, but you need a professional to evaluate all aspects of your boat and see if it worth refurbishing. A potential repairer could probably do that, but they have a builtin conflict of interest. Not to say that they wouldn't be straight with you, but they make their living fixing boats. A better choice would be a marine surveyor. That's what we do. If you need a recommendation contact me by PM.

Steve the marine surveyor

I would guess that a new 4 stroke 115 and hull refurb would easily set you back $10k and that is without taking into account any possible structural issues that Steve pointed out.

Back