Removed the livewell

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt5514

Reaction score
Well after talking about it since I got the boat, I bit the bullet and removed the above deck livewell from my 2820. While it was a nice piece of equipment, I did not need it and wanted to have the deck space.

Upon removal, we found one 10" or so oval hole and another 4" round hole to be dealt with, along with several screw holes. A simple round 4" deck cap filled the need with the smaller of the holes. We actually enlarged and centered the oval hole and installed a 14" rectangular deck hatch. This provides a small storage space if needed and looks pretty good. We left the pump and hoses in place and purchased some PVC couplers and end caps to seal the hoses. The entire unit can be easily re-installed if my, or a future owner, needs dictate.

The gel repairs for the deck and screw holes were pretty simple. We used Bondo fiberglass resin, first to seal the exposed surface of the wood and glass before installing the deck hatches and then to fill the screw holes to near the top of the deck.

While experimenting with some Parker gel the dealer sold me, we found that the product used for repairing scratches in the outer hull is not the best for the deck surface. We called Parker and were able to order deck gel with the non skid already mixed in. Aside from the difference in colors due to the sun and stains, the non skid gel was easy to get a decent looking repair done.

I was not able to photograph the process but may be able to provide some input to anyone who could benefit from my novice experience.

I am trying to decide on installing a large cooler frame with rod holders in my newly opened barge of a deck.

Next season I will likely re-gel the entire deck. The Parker rep said that the gel would pretty readily roll out leaving a nice finish.

How different is the deck gelcoat from the regular stuff. I bought a quart of gelcoat from the dealer and have not used it yet. I have a number of small dings and scratches, some on the deck that I was planning to use it on. What did you pay for the deck stuff? I think I got ripped off at $35 a quart from my local Parker dealer.

Got any pics of the job?

Nice job on the removal. Sounds like it went well. What would you add to the gelcoat that will enable you to roll it and let it cure.

The gelcoat I got from the dealer cost me $16 for a pint. I've been covering the small gelcoat repairs with a plastic film to allow them to set.

The tech at Parker recommended not thinning the gel at all. If it is rolled quickly after mixing, time seems to depend on the quantity mixed and amount of hardener, it should roll out fine, per Parker rep. I purchased several cheap sponge rollers at Home Depot for about 1.50 each and plan on just using a lot of them for the job.

The difference in the "deck" and "exterior" gel was significant. The exterior gel was far more difficult to get the right hardener amount and to get to set well. The deck gel with non skid went on and hardened real easy.

The exterior stuff probably doesn't have a surfacing wax in it where the deck stuff did or the griptex took the place of it. I would bet they add it in a the factory because it is rolled on after the mold.

Back