Replacement Stern Light

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipstream

Reaction score
On my 23se I managed to get my stern light caught up on a docking line and it's toast. Any recommendations on a replacement? I like the idea of a nice wood one that I could fly old glory from as well as serving as a stern light.

Or I can go with a std. replacement.

Thanks

Slipstream":vrfvhny5 said:
On my 23se I managed to get my stern light caught up on a docking line and it's toast. Any recommendations on a replacement? I like the idea of a nice wood one that I could fly old glory from as well as serving as a stern light.

Or I can go with a std. replacement.

Thanks
You could buy a 3' teak flag pole, but ... you'd need to DRILL thru the pole all the way to route (or hide) the wiring. Drilling teak like would be tough, special cutting angle to prevent it from wandering out the side! Would look TOO COOL though!

A friend makes them for his custom wood boats, but using select mahogany (to match the rest of boat trim), selecting the straightest grain to drill through.

The best thing is they make heavy-duty stainless steel flag pole bases (that look pretty good too!) that would stand up to a line wrapping around them significantly better than the typical sternlight plastic base.

Maybe even one has an ID large enought to mount a typical stern light through? Like a 'protective' collar?

You could take that 3' long teak flagpole, cut it in half lengthwise on the bandsaw, rout a dado lengthwise in each half for the wire chase, and glue the halves back together. I've done this for a lamp I made years ago and the seam was invisible. Just a thought.

I like this idea. I was also thinking that it would be pretty easy to set up a sled type jig and rip a channel into the teak pole on my table saw. Then mill a strip of teak to fill in the kerf mark once the wiring is tucked away.

Can you point me to sources for the flag poles? I believe I saw one at West Marine, but I'm not sure about the base. I'd have to measure the ID of the hole and figure out what would work.

May be better to get a mount for the flag pole and place it on the port stern and replace the light with a new one.

Resources for replacement light, flag pole, and flag would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey i know there is a member on here that used to do flag poles he has a post on here in projects his name on here WARTHOG5 you might want to chat with him and see what he has!!!Good Luck!!!

You might think I am a little crazy but here is an idea to try. Get a piece of square stock 1" x 1" (or 1 1/2 x 1 1/2). Rip it in half. Use a router to cut a groove in the wood for the wiring. Glue it back together and then put it on a lathe to make it round. You now have a basically a dowel with a hole in it! You can tell I like to tinker with wood.

Joe

Back