RePowering 1989 Sou'Wester

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrGeeze

Reaction score
25 foot long
Notched Transom
Modified V Hull
Currently has Single Yamaha V6 2 Stroke 150hp (1500 hours)
She'll make 30 knots on a flat sea.

I live on Hatteras Island.
I fish offshore on pretty days.
I want to put a couple of 4 strokes on her . I'm thinking 150 hp Yamahas

Don't care about fast- 25-30 knots is all i need. Most of the time off Hatteras you're lucky to go that fast. I see there's not much weight difference between 115-150hp engines. I know a single 150 will plane her off fine. I figure I may just troll one engine one day & the other the next.

Anybody out there do it?
Did you have to cut the transom at all.
How's the added weight affect the way she runs?

Btw, fuel tank only holds 67 gallons so I'm hoping I won't add another problem. Currently I burn about 40 gallons on the 2 stroker fishing all day in the Gulf Stream.

Comments & questions welcome

You've got balls fishin' the stream in a 25'er that only holds 67 gallons!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't think I would go twins unless you were willing to increase your fuel capacity. Despite the new power being 4-stroke, I think you'll end up burning more fuel than you do now.

I'm guessing your stream run is about 30 miles one way. I used to fish my old 204 Grady 30 miles out of Wachapreague, VA and 40 gallons is what I burned for a round trip w/ trolling. That boat held 80 and it was topped off when I left the dock.

If I'm right about your distance to run, then I would hightly recommend a big single and a Sea Tow membership. I wouldn't advocate that if you were up here where blue water is 60 miles out on average. Talk to B-Faithful and Megabyte to get an idea of their fuel economy w/ single power.

mrGeeze,

For what it is worth, I have the same hull and model year as you do. I have a Mariner Optimax 200 (98') and it is plenty of power. I cruise at 28mph, 4200 rpms, and it is very efficient. I regulary run 30 - 40 miles round trip on 1/2 tank gas. I cannot comment on a newer 4 stroke, but a single OB around 200 will get you what you want for speed. For what you are talking about for distance I would add a really good kicker and Sea Tow.

Be careful!

Jon

A single F250 would be my choice. It would be a significant upgrade in performance and give you reasonable gas mileage.

If you are serious about offshore, I would add some fuel capacity.

Mr. Geeze is fishing out of Hatteras. You can almost fish the Gulfstream with a surf rod. Old standard was 2/3rds capacity @ 2 mpg, or in this case a range of 89 miles. Plenty of gas.

I like the twin 150-4's. Plenty of power, one could serve as a troller and as a kicker. Might have to widen the notch. A nice benefit is less draft with twins.

mrgeeze,

I have the same boat as you, mine is an 82' sou'wester 25'. As we speak I am installing an armstrong bracket and a 250hp Suzuki four stroke. As far as performance is concened a friend of mine has a 25se with a Yamaha 225 four stroke and he claims to cruise around thirty with a top speed of 45.

Back