Restoring a classic , need help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentislandparker

Reaction score
Have a nice 88 25 Parker just ripped the floors out in the cabin and need to understand epoxy or polyester to reglass. I keep hearing no epoxy under gel coat, I wanted to use west system epoxy over new wood than gel coat. Will that work or do I need to use good old polyester and resin than gel coat. Thank you all I just want to be sure, to much work to do twice and I need to be fishing NOW !

Attachments

• Copy of 001.JPG
    Copy of 001.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 1,027
I would suggest polyester resin.

Epoxy is high strength, low odor but expensive and takes a while to cure. There is no need to use it on the floor. IF you were bonding something then I would say go for it.

The boat is made out of polyester resign, it is cheap, cures quickly, and has no problems with gelcoat.

The floor will easily last you another 20 years with polyester resin.

Just my 2 cents

Also, if that is standard bottom paint on the lower unit and midsection be sure to take it off. The copper in the bottom paint will cause corrosion because of the dissimilar metals.

Just my 2 cents.

Beautiful Boat!! Post some pictures of the inside.

That sounds good , Thanks for the info and yes how did you like that motor complete with bottom paint from the old owner. I have a nice yamaha ox66 thats ready when the johnson dies.

captbone":29gh6b01 said:
Beautiful Boat!! Post some pictures of the inside.

I agree!
Project photos of a classic restoration would be way cool. 8)

I will post pics when I get the rest of this floor up . Any thoughts on the foam in here ,it seems a little damp and i would like to check both sides of the stringers . leave it or remove it all? Thanks again

If it is damp, I'd dig it all out and evaluate what is underneath. This time of year, it could be due to condensation. At the least, air it out and let it dry well before sealing it back up.

wow brian thats a nice parker u have there....what happened, did u give your 21' steroids?

My vote is for epoxy. It's much stronger and gelcoat has not problems sticking to it provided that you adequately rough up and clean the surface prior to putting down the gelocat. I've done it many times and have never once had a failure.

I recently used epoxy from Raka and can honestly say it was a joy to work with. $156 for a 3 gallon kit (2 gal of 127 resin and 1 gal of 608 medium hardener) vs. $99 for just a gallon of West System resin from Boater's World. Working times were great and it was super easy to measure out with the pumps.

As for the foam, if the part you can touch is damp...the parts you can't touch (on the bottom) are probably ten times worse. Dig it out and refoam w/ 2 or 4 lb. density.

Good luck! :)

2-Part Foam:
Check out Shopman, http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html Best prices when I needed some 8-years ago on the 'old' pre-Pahka boat.

Use of poly versus epoxy:
While I myself didn't have the best results using gelcoat over an 'existing' epoxy (Marinetex, ughh that stuff s$%ks ...) repair, here's another option. Don't gelcoat the deck - paint it with a 2-part linear polyurethane with non-skid mixed in. It will be far ore durable than a gelcoat finish.

I too LOVE the Raka epoxy ... the simple 2-to-1 mix ratio is soooooooooooooooooooooo simple to use. There is ZERO need to pay 2 to 3 times the price for West Systems epoxy for this use you're doing. Tell Larry @ Raka that the boys from Classic Parker sent you ;) !

Hey 25parkersc did you get that old boat in the water yet ? As you can tell I am slacking. What did you do steal a fish off someones boat for your picture !

Thanks all for the ideas

You scored, that is a nice looking boat and even has a second sterring station, nice one !

tara11":3mg0a095 said:
You scored, that is a nice looking boat and even has a second sterring station, nice one !

Notice how far back Parker placed those rear stations years ago?
I've seen a 25 Sou`wester around here with it situated about 3' from the transom.

Old school baby! 8)

My second station was way back on my 89, I had to move it up about a foot to really make it usable, cramped the stern quarter of the boat way back.

The boat was a great deal but she need lots of gel coat work , cracks all over the gunnels but if I get the inside done now , The outside can be next winters project. I love the 2nd station back far for crabbing and to use my soon to be installed 4 stroke kicker.

Back