Rod and Reel Recommendations

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexm225

Reaction score
Im based in New Jersey out at Barnegat Inlet. Im looking for rod and reel combo recommendations for Fluke, Bluefish and stripers. I was looking at the Spin fishers and the Battle 3 combos. But id like to get some recommendations from people with experience in the area as this upcoming season will be my first here.

What do ya spool them up with? I saw i could get 3-4 rod and reel combos for about 600 bucks which seemed like a very good deal for a penn combo.
My 6000s have 50# braid with a 50# mono top shot. My 8000s have 80# braid with an 80# top shot. Three of each.

I fish the the same species as you, but in the Cheaspeake. If you'd consider a round baitcaster over a spinning reel, I highly recommend the Shimano Cardiff in the 300 or 400 size. The 300 size casts well and can easily handle a tropgy striper. It's also fairly light weight so its nice for all day fluke jigging. The 400 size is a wider version and holds enough line for some medium-duty trolling. Since the spool is so wide, it doesnt cast quite as nicely as the 300, but it still does cast well. I'm going on 5 years with my set of Cardiffs and haven't had any problems with them.

I can recommend Penn Battle III Combo: This combo is a great all-around option for targeting fluke, bluefish, and stripers in the Barnegat Inlet area. The Battle III reel is known for its durability and smooth drag system, while the rod is designed for versatile fishing styles.

Back