S1000 Autopilot

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradV

Reaction score
For any of you who have contemplated getting autopilot in your Parker do it. I helped my buddy put the S1000 in my old 2530 and we made a run over to the Bahamas Memorial day weekend. Went over to West End and then down to Lucaya. On the run home 89.6 Miles with a 3-5 foot following sea we never were off the track by more than 110 feet. Super impressed with the little unit keeping that boat going straight digging in those seas. The back of the helm looks like a houses plumbing with the dual stations already in the helm then adding autopilot but the fittings were easy to make at a hydraulic store locally. Maybe took us 3-4 hours. Hardest part was running the wires up to the GPS.

Thanks for the input. That is one of those things on my 'wish list'.

I'd like to have it to keep me on course and tracking straight if I need to leave the helm while trolling.

I have a Simrad in mine (with virtual steering) and love it. At the end of the day I don't feel as worn out. I set the throttles and watch from the Captain's chair but just not having to steer all the time is alot less tiring. Slow trolling is great as well. One of the best things I've put on the boat, well worth the money (IMO).

He was looking at the Garmin newer ones and some of the other companies and they were all around 3k and this one was like 880 so kind of a big difference. Just the pumps alone on those bigger ones are around $1200.

love my S1000 for the troll and scouting from the bow searching for Tuna.
will never have a boat without one. just too good and easy.

The S1000 is probably the best money I have spent on the boat....Do alot of slow trolling and it's like having another person on the boat. Must have on any boat.

MaxOut":3uarv1zo said:
The S1000 is probably the best money I have spent on the boat....Do alot of slow trolling and it's like having another person on the boat. Must have on any boat.

I'll second that.....

...other than my modified seats.....

Hey, who gets more than 3 bars signal strength on the remote?

I changed out the batteries and then turned everything on, held the remote right next to the computer and still only 3 bars.

yes only seen 3 bars on the remote. Not sure why but it works so i didnt question it. Was the same whether right next to it or on the tower with the roof in between us.

I'm sold and want to go with the 1000 but I need some instructional support to do it on my own. I've got dual consules on a 2520 with twin 150s and furuno nav net vx2 plotter - is the S1000 a good match with furuno? thanks

I also have the S1000 but find for my trolling at 1.7 to 2.0 mph the S1000 will not hold in there and drops out, you need to be going 3.0 mph over ground, i.e. gps in order for the autopilot to stay engaged. Also, perhaps I don't have things adjusted correctly but the patterns are not suitable for trolling in the Chesapeake. The turns are sharp and let the lures drop to the bottom into the mud. But I do use it to set out my spread by setting on straight course at 3.0+ mph.

SommerTime":38kxoxwr said:
Also, perhaps I don't have things adjusted correctly but the patterns are not suitable for trolling in the Chesapeake. The turns are sharp and let the lures drop to the bottom into the mud. But I do use it to set out my spread by setting on straight course at 3.0+ mph.

ST: The turn characteristics are adjustable and it's not hard to adjust them. My only advice is only do one correction at a time and if you don't like the change, go back to the setting you were at before you made the change. Then make your new change.

Hey "Theotherline": can you tell me which variables I should adjust? I understand what you are saying, i.e. one at a time and go back if you don't like the results but, which variables should I be adjusting?

Thanks

SommerTime":2cmvteqc said:
Hey "Theotherline": can you tell me which variables I should adjust? I understand what you are saying, i.e. one at a time and go back if you don't like the results but, which variables should I be adjusting?

Thanks

Be happy to. Let me go back to my notes when I did mine. Give me a day or two....

SommerTime":270hiapq said:

Thanks

Okay. My notes: I adjusted counter rudder and response.

I set response to 4 and counter rudder to 5. I don't have the factory settings. Just make sure you write them down before you change anything.

I started with response, changed it first, to see what happened. Then put it back to where it was.

Then I adjusted counter rudder down, because my turns were too "hard" or "sharp".

I wound up going back to response and raised it.

So, final deal counter rudder = 5; response = 4

Having said that, my water is probably different than your water, in terms of currents, etc.,

So, you need to adjust to your area. But, start with response, then counter, then go back to response.

Good Luck

Back