sea star hydraulic steering

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfunandson

Reaction score
I have a 2008 2120 be purchased in March. Arrived at the boat 5:30 this morning lowered the engine and started it, all good so far. Then I tried to turn the motor to pull from my slip. Nothing happened, the wheel simply spun and the engine did not move. Checked the fluid level and when I loosened the nut there was under pressure, should that happen? Prior to this boat I always had mechanical steering so I am not that familiar with this. Any way it was a “little” low, the guy two slips over happened to have some sea star fluid so we topped it off, but still nothing. He was kind enough to take Pops and I out for the morning. Called the dealer at 9am from the water and from what they can tell me it appears to be a faulty/stuck value in the helm, they stated they would be out to inspect it early next week and they should be able to do the repair w/o pulling the boat. (change the helm)
My neighbor who had the fluid available claims he has similar problems (he has a 6 year old boat but when he adds fluid it clear up usually pops up every 3-4 months, and he has never noticed a leak). Is this going to be a problem we have to deal with?

5 hard fishing seasons on my 2520 with seastar and the only problems I've had are this year I have a slow fluid leak. I top it off with like 1oz of seastar fluid and I'm good to go. I'm probably going to need new o-rings and wipers this winter, but so far the leak is barely noticeable (i've topped it off twice this summer since March 1, over approx 100+ hours, i consider that manageable).

it's probably just an isolated wierd/bad part. I've never heard of any probs other than fluid leaks from the seastar.

I've had the SeaStar for 6 seasons now and other than a slight leak at the cylinder, not problems. I just fill her up a couple times a season. Guess I should have the cylinder rebuilt this winter.

Bottom line is that I've never had any problems with the helm.

Dave

aka

Our 2310 is now on the 4th season. This past Saturday morning, the
steering initially worked OK when I lowered the engine, but then when backing out from the slip, it froze in the right turn limit. Wouldn't budge from that position even though I was turning the wheel. Fortunately, a person on board grabbed hold of the dock and held the boat while I exercised the wheel left and right. Finally after about a minute, the
engine started moving with the wheel. Worked fine the rest of the day.
This is the second time this has happened. It happened last year also, near the end of the season when the temps were colder at night. Seems that exercising the wheel left and right frees the stuck valve.

2005 2310WA / F250
Pt Judith Salt Pond
Pt Judith, RI

Regards, paul

I have had problems with my system as well. I traced it to two problems- Air and proper fluid.

1st- when I purchased the boat I had the dealer add a second steering station. They used (Dextron III I think) tranny fluid to bleed in the new pump. 1st trip out steering was not turning as it is supposed to. Had to turn it real quick to get it to catch (valve sticking & air in line). Dealer said they replaced helm pump. (They didn't because I marked the old one from beneath) They bled the air out.

2nd- When I added the autopilot it came with a clear return line so you can see the air leave. Upon inspection of the fluid it was a combination of dextron and the expensive Sea Star steering fluid. It appears these two fluids do not blend well as you can see the separation like strawberry swirl. If you read the Sea Star manual it states you can use Dextron III in an emergency. Emergency is the key word.

Recently had similar problems coming back. Flushed the entire system completely and removed all of the Dextron fluid and replaced with Sea Star. 100 bucks later. System functions flawlessly and never smoother. Apparently the Sea Star fluid is worth the money. It has special lubricants designed for the seals in the Sea Star helm pumps and cylinders. An automatic transmission is totally different environment and design than a hydraulic steering system. Fluids in an automatic transmission are designed to tolerate extreme temps and high viscosity neither of witch are present in the Sea Star steering system. Our Sea Star systems never reach the temps Dextron III is designed to operate at. Transmission fluid is designed to lubricate bands and actuators at the same time keep seals tight.

I know some people with not spend the extra money (especially considering the economy) but trust me it is worth it @ $18.99 a Qt. I like to find alternative solutions that save money and is one of the things I like about this forum but have you priced a new helm pump???? You can buy a lot of Sea Star fluid for that kind of coin.. :wink:

(mrfunandson, Parker Paul) - Curious to know what color your fluid is? Dip a paper towel into it. Is it clear?

May be a coincidence but it made a world of difference in my steering.

The color of the steering fluid is red. I know because every summer some leaks out. Don's Marine fills it full in the spring maintenance.
Then with the full canvas, and the sun, it gets very hot inside during the summer. On the hottest days, some fluid will leak out the top of the
filling hole vent. Red fluid runs down to the floor. Not a lot, but it has to be cleaned up. What color is the Sea Star fluid?

Parker Paul

DaleH":d0os2uk5 said:
Parker Paul":d0os2uk5 said:
The color of the steering fluid is red.

Red color indicates aviation-grade hydraulic fluid.

Do you think "Don's Marine" is using aviation-grade hydraulic fluid? :? I bet it is Dextron III or similar.

What color is the Sea Star fluid?
Pee or Corona beer yellow ...

I have had problems with a New Holland tractor that I decided to use Wal-Marts "High Tech" brand Hydro fluid as a alternative to the expensive New Holland brand. According to the specs on the container it met all the same requirements as the New Holland brand. Loader valve stuck and allmost caused a serious accident. Flushed and replaced with New Holland brand problem gone. Lesson learned. For me I will only use the Sea Star fluid.

Parker Paul":1w9dzgde said:
The color of the steering fluid is red. I know because every summer some leaks out. Don's Marine fills it full in the spring maintenance.
Then with the full canvas, and the sun, it gets very hot inside during the summer. On the hottest days, some fluid will leak out the top of the
filling hole vent. Red fluid runs down to the floor. Not a lot, but it has to be cleaned up. What color is the Sea Star fluid?

Parker Paul

If you have any more problems I would flush out old fluid and replace with Sea Star. That stuck valve could cost allot more than the Sea Star fluid and is one of the symptoms I had when using the wrong fluid on my tractor. See Other Post. Do it your self if possible to ensure a good job and also to examine the fluid to see if there is signs of another problem drain into a clear container.

Thank's for the information. Is the steering fluid put in by Parker, or part of the dealer setup? It will be changed for next season.

2005 2310 / F250
Pt Judith Salt Pond
Pt Judith, RI

Thanks again, Paul

Fluid was red. Dealer was out today tried to flush the system but that did not work, then they replaced the helm and all looks in order. We will have wait and see, they did not finish until 7pm tonight.

I have had similar issues with my steering system on my 2520, when i called Seastar they informed me that the boat is 3 years old and out of warrenty. They have had similar issues with the valves in the helm and the only fix is to have the unit replaced. West marine carrys the unit and i changed it myself in about 1 1/2 hours.

It stinks that they would not stand behind their product, but i guess i was the lucky one to get a bum unit as i havent heard of too many other issues with them.

I have the exact same problem on my 2003 Parker. After letting the boat sit for a week, I lower the motor and it turns one direction and then locks going the other way. After a few turns of the wheel, the helm unit pops and everything works fine. Initially I found that the pressure valve on the fill cap got stuck. I replaced it and the problem was solved for a while but came back again. Seems to happen in cold weather and not in warm summer weather. Its on my list of projects ...

It starting to seem like this is a bigger problem than I thought. You would think there would be a recall or something. It is potentially a very dangerous situation and SeaStar should be made aware of it. 3 years or less with failure. Imagine this on a 50' boat coming down the fairway and you go to turn in your slip and BOOOOM steering stuck 20mph cross winds.... :shock: Get the picture. WHO PAYS?? YOU DO!! I bet if a major automobile manufacturer had a problem with there steering sticking in one direction they would be all over it and footing the bill even out of warranty. The marine industry seems to be lacksidasical and blames everything on the harsh environment they are supposed to build there equipment to be in. Remember boats are "Black holes", "Money Pits" all of these bad cliché’s are what are drilled in your head until you learn to accept faulty motors, steering and anything else stamped marine. They charge exorbitant amounts of money to fatten there bank accounts and look the other way. Nobody wants to take responsibility and we all accept it for the pass time we enjoy and have become brainwashed. I think it stinks.

Example-1, I have a 2007 2520 Parker bought middle 2007 and this is what I have had to come out of my pocket and replace (not including anything maintenance Related)

Fuel Sending Unit - $100.00
Johnson Sea Water Pump - $150.00
Horn -$175.00
Sea Star Fluid- $100.00
Nav Lights - Front bulbs $5.00, Rear Mast $40.00
Bilge Pump Float Switch - $40.00

Add 1-2 hours of labor @ $95.00 for each if I had to take it too the dealer.

Example 2, I have a 2003 Ford Van with 40K on it and this is what I had to replace.

NOTHING!!!! :evil:

Sorry about that little tangent but it burns me up that companies can charge more for marine grade and sometimes you are only getting the word "Marine" stamped on the package. What a rip off. We should get together collectively and approach Sea Star with a class action suit. I bet they will shut us up quick.

OK I have to get ready to go fishing and ease they pain... :wink:

I have a 2005 2520XL and occasionally the 2nd steering station fails to turn the engine. There was no signs of fluid leaking anywhere behind the steering wheel or the hydraulic cables, everything was dry and no signs of fluid residue. The system was bled with a machine by 3A marine but it didn't help.

A bunch of tests were conducted by the dealer and the problem comes from the Sea Star steering system. If you look at the engine you will see 2 silver rods running horizontal along the engine bracket. When these rods get even a tiny nick or scratch it will cut into the rubber rings or seals that slide along the rods. This is where the steering fluid is lost. You usually wont be able to detect the small amount of fluid on the silver rods but it will accumulate leading to loss of steering. This is a known problem with Sea Star.

If you run your fingers along the silver rods and it's not 100% smooth then you more than likely will experience a gradual loss of steering fluid leading to loss of steering. I was told that the rods can be sanded smooth again but the seal will never be as tight so it's only a temporary fix. I ordered a brand new steering system for 2009.

I hope this helps,
Anthony

I have a Sea Star steering ram on Empty Pockets, I have twin engines as well.

The first two times I took it out, the steering was vague AT BEST. It was VERY difficult to keep a heading. VERY slow response from the engines to turn. Spin the helm and the engines casually turned. NO JOY!

I took the boat to my mechanic to see what was wrong . . . the system was filled with red hydraulic fluid.

My mechanic completely drained/purged/replaced the fluid with Sea Star fluid and the boat now handles like a dream.

Turn the helm to port and the boat smartly turns to port, turn the helm to starboard and the boat smartly turns to starboard. What a novel concept huh?

The long and short of it . . . replace the fluid in your system with the proper fluid from Sea Star.

It does make a difference.

Kevin G.

Back