Shurflo Baitwell pump

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Cibran

Reaction score
My 2300CCDV came with a shurflo Pirahna baitwell pump and it has been acting up,I have checked the fuse and thats not the problem,also checked breaker and thats not it either,now I have bought the replacement cartridge and I have some questions,I know you unscrew the old one after removing the small screw and it should pop out,NOW MY QUESTION IS, DO I HAVE TO RUN THE NEW WIRES ALL THE WAY TO THE CONNECTION OR CAN I SPLICE INTO OLD WIRE WITH CONNECTORS AND THEN PUT SOME LIQUID TAPE.

ROBERT

No reason not to cut and splice then use liquid tape. That's what I did when replacing pumps. just make sure you get the connector well covered with the liquid.

Burtona

I thought the same as you,just wanted to double check before I go and do something which is not correct.

thanks

robert

Just my 2 cents, I agree to make sure to coat it well but if at all possible you can also shrink tube it for a real tight connection.

Thats exactly what I did yesterday,I went out and bought the shrink wrap tubbing,couldn't find the heat gun,so I will look today for gun and hopefully all will go smoothly,thanks.

Robert

Just another thing to look for.. if the old wire is black when you cut into it, you should keep cutting it back until you get to a 'clean' section before splicing in the new pump. When connections aren't sealed properly, water can creep into the wire under the insulation and cause corrosion. I found quite a bit when I was replacing the bilge pump on my '99.

Also, a lighter will work fine on the shrink tubing, especially for a couple of small splices.

-- Tom

Tom,

Good to know,I dont expect to find any black color on wire as the boat is fairly new 2006,first I have to double check if in fact pump is bad,check fuse and breaker if all O.K. then proceed to un- screw the cartridge and see if there is anything stuck in there preventing the impeller from spinning,if all checks out,then replace with new cartrigde and see if it works.

I can not thnik of anything else that would cause pump failure,these pumps are not made to run dry,maybe at some point I left switch on while at anchor and did not notice it while valve on bait tank was closed.

Who knows,I have heard many folks having problems with their shurflo pumps and only lasting 2 years,I guess it luck.

thansk again

Robert

i finally was able to find what was wrong with shurflo pump,it so happens it was the fuse,however to find the 5 amp fuse was almost impossoble,whoever did this at Parker factory did so that the owner would have a supe hard time in finding the fuse holder,it was way is the back of transom hidden behind othe wires and hoses.

robert

Optimaxfish

yes it is an original from parker,it cam eon my 2006,shurflo states that it needs to have a 5 amp fuse,mine has the breaker on back of dash switch.

I guess its a type of double protection,

Robert

Back