Simrad 9" EVO3s install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rloomis

Reaction score
My Furuno 1724C and DFF1 fishfinder were nearing 15yrs old and the DFF1 gave out on me. No signal to the transducer.
There weren't any great options for just replacing the DFF module so it was time to finally upgrade.

I installed this new Simrad 9" EVO3s and a StructureScan 3D module. Until I can budget for a radar upgrade, I still have the 1724C flush mounted in the dash to serve as my radar display and secondary GPS. So, I had to plan a top of dash mount for the new display.

The U bracket that came with the EVO3s had the new display butting right up against the compass and still hanging over the edge of the dash. It put about 30degrees deviation on my compass and didn't look that great.
So I got this navpod pedestal mount unit and am really happy with the results. It got the display far enough from the compass to keep deviation down <5degrees, provides much better protection of the display and looks pretty decent.

Amazing upgrade! The new charts are so much better, offering 3d bottom structure views. Echo sounder is nice and with the StructureScan3D and 2nd transducer, I get sidescan and 3D scans I can mix or overlay with my B-164 transducer that's now being driven by the Simrad. Another nice feature is that I added a Yamaha CommandLink to Simrad cable connecting to the Yamaha CommandLink hub and now I get engine data on the Simrad instrument display as well as my square command link gauges still working as before.

20210313_112635.jpgS

The EVO3S has 2 card slots so I'm running both. I'm still getting familiar with everything each chart can do. My early impression is the CMAP Reveal bottom floor view looks nice but doesn't have as detailed bathymetric lines as the Navionics Platinum. The Navionics lets me do live downscan sonar overlay to get even more detail. The CMAP seems to only let me overlay sidescan which is disappointing.

Latest posts

Back