Spoke to dealer today!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith FDNY

Reaction score
I am just curious today i spoke with dealer and asked if he could put clear coat on bottom of boat to prevent marine growth marine he stated to me that last product of clear to his knowledge was taken off market due to Tin content it was very toxic to enviroment,i just dont like black bottom so he can paint it white,has anyone had theres done white and have picture so i can see,and what is the going rate on bottom painting?

There is a boat in my area with very light blue (almost white) bottom paint and it turns brown just a few weeks into the season. Not sure if its just not the right paint, or if he doesn't care of it properly though.

My Albin 27 came with black bottom paint, ablative. I over coated (is that a word?) with 3 coats of WM blue ablative. Now I sold that boat this past Oct. One full year after painting the bottom. I bet the new owner will not have to paint the bottom for at least 3 years, maybe more. He won't have to paint until he sees the black coming through the blue.
Now that you read all this bottom paint BS, here's the point. The boat is in the water, you won't see the painted bottom IMHO the bottom paint color is not a big issue. If you trailer your boat you do not have to paint, the boat won't be in the water long enough for growth to become a problem.
I'll say it again, if you trailer your boat, you DO NOT have to paint the bottom. Bottom painting is not a mandatory right of boat owership passage. Having painted a 30' sailboat twice, and a Albin 27 once x 3, it is a chore I can live without, and so can you, unless you store your boat in the water. If that's the case have at it, use ablative 3 coats get 3 plus years out of your labor.

As 96tl stated i will be in water 3/4 of year at dock i will not be trailing it at all unless to go get service or something!!!!

Stay away from the white's. I painted my previous boat for about 8 years with Interlux Shark White. It looks absolutly gorgeous when it is done but looks like crap after about a month if you don't keep it scrubbed along the water line. Anything below the water stays true to color but anything above turns green from the copper content. I actually used to wet sand it during the summer months to keep it looking good.

I'm with Henry Ford on this one, any color as long as it's Black.

Before

P1010368.jpg

After

winter1.jpg

winterframe2.jpg

The paint in those pics looks exactly like the boat I mentioned earlier! I guess it was originally white but then turned a light blue/green color from the copper. Definitely stay away from white now.

Well since few guys say no on the white i just might have tp listen and not do it!!!

Keith FDNY":2kmp16lr said:
i just might have tp listen and not do it!!!

You should definitely listen, not just might. LoL. :lol:

Seriously though, you really don't want to deal with bottom paint mistakes. It's a headache. Do it once and do it right. Make sure they paint the swim platform properly with a compatible aluminum paint. :wink:

This is what dealer told me today so far!! I think that ablit much for painting!!

$25/ft for an unpainted boat-covers labor, solvent wash, primer coat and 2 coats of bottom paint. The paint wil need to be re-coated (1 coat) every yerar after that with a good sanding prior to additional coats.

I'm not sure what the cost should be. My dealer included it in the sale, and my marina does it for free every year.

Back