Starboard question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freespool

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking to install a set of underwater lights on the transom of my 2530. Instead of screwing them on directly to the transom, I was thinking of using a piece of starboard and cutting it at an angle. This would allow me to get the lights to shine more down ward, not outward. It would also be easier to screw the lights into the starboard instead of into the transom. So here are my questions:
1. Can I use starboard below the water line?
2. Do I put caulking behind the starboard where it meets the hull. If so, what kind do I use?
Thank you in advance!

You can use underwater but a couple of fasteners along with 5200 is minimal to adhere to the boat. Starboard is pretty slippery stuff. I wouldn't trust a sealant alone to hold them on the boat. Also it won't hold paint very well either.

Either way you will need to screw into the transom, starboard doesn't work well with adhesives only as TWOBOATER mentioned. I would use stainless steel, a local metal shop could cut and bend you up a bracket. If you don't want to screw into the hull you could 5200 that bracket then paint with bottom paint

I agree with the other guys on the attaching starboard to transum with adhesive only. If you are dead set against drilling into the transum, then consider tab mounted lights. You could also drop you tabs down, at least while at the dock? That is unless you have auto retract and you can't override that feature? See link
http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/u ... product/9/

Great advice. Thank you guys. I am not against drilling into the transom, it's just that the flange on the lights does not giv much room for a set of adult screws. It would be easier to mount the lights to starboard and mount the starboard to the transom.

Back