Steering Wheel/Power Knobs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outta Here

Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between Edson and Schmitt three spoke wheels? The Edson wheels are way more expensive. I have only internet pics to look at, don't see a lot of difference.

Is the Edson worth extra money? Someone who has an Edson...did yours come with the logo on the wheel nut and power knob? Is there a way to remove the logos (stickers or cast in)?

Not sure if you need to get a new wheel or not, but a few of my friends and I have been using this very in-expensive stainless clamp-on knob for several years without any problems. BassPro didn't carry them when I got mine, so they must have picked them up recently.

Much better quality than you would think based on the $15 price. I don't think I could get my boat into the slip without it.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog. ... rchResults

90952.jpg

-- Tom

The clamp on knob works extremely well. There are several models and sizes available for just about any wheel. There are very inexpensive ones made of alloys which will rust etc. The one I have was about $30.00 dollars and has worked perfectly for 6 years. You need to know the diameter of the tubing the wheel is made from to get one that fits perfectly. I believe the one I bought was for a one inch wheel.

FWIW I use the one TomS shows on my external steering station and it has been solid, foolproof, and no rust! I also use a teak clamp-on one at the inside steering station.

Related question...

Does anyone know the diameter of 23 cc wheels?

My boat's 4 hrs. away.

FishFactory":ce5js1np said:
Does anyone know the diameter of 23 cc wheels?

My boat isn't nearby either, but I believe the helm wheels are 16" and the rear station wheels are 13".

Image-0EC282D7F14A11D8.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg
Image-DB831974C5C611DA.jpg-thumb_269_202.jpg

Edson sells their PowerWheels in aluminum with a teak rim, satin aluminum, or black anodized in 13, 16, and 18" diameters. Polished stainless wheels come in the 13 and 16" sizes.

The wheels come prepared for a straight bore or a tapered shaft (if yours is a SeaStar, it'll likely have the tapered) with a 5/8-18 or 1/2-20 thread.

About 4 years ago when I researched an Edson for my Dusky, the PowerKnob and the center nut were extra-cost options, and back then you could get the center nut without the logo.

I'd call Jim at BOE and ask him. He's much better with this stuff than I am.

I have the chrome knob shown above you can have for the freight & packing. I paid $19.99 for it + $6.05 for shipping & handling at saveonboating.com. It was small for my big hand and it had a slight rattle that looks unfixable to me. Goes on easy & chrome is good.

I bought the gold Edson PowerKnob for $72 from boatersworld.com and it suits me much better. It is a larger knob, it has removable plastic bearings in a top and a bottom race and has a strap and barrel nut that clamps it on my Parker wheel. It also had a slight ratttle after I installed it as it was missing on of the small white plastic bearings so I called Edson and they sent me an entire top race and with a full set of bearings. Works perfect now. I can see now why Edson products list for more $. And the gold knob looks great on the Parker too.

.......Pete

My wife uses hand controls on the car/van because her feet aren't always predictable. The hand controls come with a "suicide knob" that is the real thing. It's bulletproof and removable (push in the little silver pin and pull out the knob). I think we paid $65 w/ installation...get them from a Mobility store.

IMG_1121.jpg

Thanks for the comments, and offer, greatcir.

I might have to measure, if the 13"er isn't so small to look awkward, it would speed up the slooooow hyd steering.

Not to mention the polished, cast stainless steel should look awesome. :D

Now if I could only get one of those teak helms with white-face guages under glass like the Carolina Customs. :D

Here are a few shots of the gold Edson steering wheel knob. Bearing race with small plastic bearings top and bottom. Good smooth grip on steering wheel. Smooth operation. Sturdy. Expensive. Worth it to my big grip. Parker deserves the gold.

.............Pete

Attachments

• Side view Edson knob (Small).jpg
    Side view Edson knob (Small).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,786
  • Console including Edson knob (Small).jpg
    Console including Edson knob (Small).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,786
Boaters World just opened a store in Southport. The Schmitt wheel /knob on spoke looked fine to me. Costs $179 in store inc. nut (fits SeaStar). It's 13" and looks fine on a Parker console. 8)

Latest posts

Back