Striped Bass on Bunker back in July 07

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky

Reaction score
Here are a 27lb. 8oz. and a 29lb. 6oz. striped bass caught just outside Jones inlet on Long Island during July of 2007. We were snagging Bunker and live-lining them. The 3 of us had 7 bluefish and 3 bass in about 2 hours. We had to leave them biting as it was an outgoing moon tide and the inlet was getting evil.

Attachments

• 29_6_and_27_8_stripers.jpg
    29_6_and_27_8_stripers.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 193
Good lookin' fish.... :lol: So.... now with the repower, even Evil Inlets won't be cramping your style!

Hey, is that another Parker in the first slip behind the floating dock you are standing on? :D

I zoomed in on another pic from the same set and I am pretty sure it is a Parker and not a Steiger Craft.

I will have to post some pics of Jones Inlet when it gets evil so you can see what I mean. It hasn't been dredged in 10+ years and can be very dangerous on an outgoing moon tide up against a SW swell. Some days we go out and the inlet if fine only to return and find 5' breakers all the way across the mouth. The weight of the I/O is a benefit when I am forced to go surfing on the way in through the breakers.

Man, your Parker must go pretty fast to travel to the future and back! Mine barely touches 40 MPH. I gotta play with my trim tabs...

Those fish are lucky to be 15 lb tops for the big one. If u like ill show u a 29 lb fish that was 48''. That is about average for 29 pound striper.

Relentless,

I have the weigh slips to prove those weights if you would like to wager on it. I weighed them in for a Freeport Tuna Club derby but I didn't even place as the 3rd place was 30.2lbs.

Maybe it is my 6' 5" frame that makes them look smaller.

48'' stripper 28lbs that is a normal weight for that length of a stripe bass! OH by the way this was cought back in July of 2006 in Moriches Inlet.

Attachments

• jayandfish-1.jpg
    jayandfish-1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 85
That looks like a very nice Striped Bass. Based on the picture and the Length/Weight, I would say it was a male. Females weigh considerably more for their length.

Here is a good site for Striped Bass Length/Weight --> http://www.stripersonline.com/Pages/weight_length/.

FYI - I had a 38lb. Striped Bass a few years ago that was 47".

Hopefully, we will have a good Striper season on LI this year.

When you fish live pogies (bunker, menhaden), how do you rig them?

Ever try a king mackeral rig on 'em? Do you slow troll maybe 1 mph?

One simularity with king fishing...seems the big fish always come in on live bait. 8)

If all fish of a given species and length weighed the same, the SKA wouldn't have "weigh-ins". We'd have "ruler-ins" :lol:

When we are fishing the Bunker schools in the ocean, we using snagging rigs. If you are not familiar, these are large treble hooks with lead in the middle. We cast out into the school with a spinning rod and reel fast and whip the rod in order to snag. Normally, we reel the Bunker in quickly and then transfer to a conventional rod with 40lb Fluorocarbon and a smaller treble hook. We hook the Bunker in the back just behind the head and cast back into the middle of the school keeping a thumb on the open spool and letting the Bunker swim. On pickup, we let it run for 10-20 seconds and then slam them to set the hook.

Normally doesn't always work though as both of these fish were caught on the 15lb test snagging rod. I couldn't get the bunker in fast enough. That does happen pretty often.

Back