Take a Seat?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Kirk

Reaction score
We did a test run on our 2520 the other day and one of the first things I noted was the lack of a good spot to sit while trolling or just motoring around.

I have seen that some of you have some portable seating in your boats. I would like to know just what works best, is the stablest, comfortable, and something that does not mark up the decking.

The other thing I noticed when we bought the boat is that in our model with the cut out transom there is no fish hold! Dang.....it is a fishing boat!

Guess it is coolers or a fish kill bag.

Thanks

Kirk

Capt Kirk,
To me a fish holder is nothing more than another area to clean when the day is over. I use a cooler to hold fish and it also seconds as a seat. Put a cushion on it and it works great for that. But, all I use my boat for is fishing, fishing, fishing. I don't cruise with it. I do troll and again the cooler fits the bill for me.
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Joe

I have a live well that sits on the port side and that can work as a seat.

When we are trolling and nothing is happening people migrate to the cabin and wait for a rod to go down. When there is action no one is sitting.

I've tried a chair in the cockpit but it seemed to get in the way. Coolers are the way to go because they serve several functions and need to be there regardless.

I also have a full transom and that is a good place to sit to watch the rods.

here's a couple thoughts. I like the extra sturdy deck chairs sold at West Marine. Theyre very comfotable and don't mar the deck. I also use an icey-tek cooler for seating. As for the fish box, they aren't well insulated and on both my Parkers I use them for storing gaffs, boat hooks etc... /not a major loss /imho.

Sometimes it is so simple.

Like.... why didn't I think of that.

The idea of a big cooler (or two) with a cushioned top is just what I think we will do.

As far as sitting out on the deck while trolling all I can say is that this is the first year that I will fish in a boat with a cabin, so I am not really sure what to expect. I am used to being outside all the time (Parker 23' CC) so things are going to change for me this year.

The weather can get on the warm side in the summers here so the cool breeze feels good on those days.

Thanks for you ideas.

Kirk

The absolute best seat on the boat.......is a bean bag! They are great for running in rough water. They work so well, it's easy to take a nap on a long haul to or from the blue water. When it's time to fish, they're easy to stow fwd in the v-berth. I like the "L" shaped one myself because they sit up a little higher, but the traditional, round ones work just as well. We'll sit a couple behind the Pilot House when running to avoid any spray. It's the best 20 bucks I think I've ever spent.

Wow, who wudda thunk!

I guess it would be nice if it would stay dry. We tend to wash down the deck a lot during a day of fishing so we would really have to watch that.

Will have to ponder this one.

Thanks

Kirk

tracey":1o714c3o said:
The absolute best seat on the boat.......is a bean bag! They are great for running in rough water. They work so well, it's easy to take a nap on a long haul to or from the blue water. When it's time to fish, they're easy to stow fwd in the v-berth. I like the "L" shaped one myself because they sit up a little higher, but the traditional, round ones work just as well. We'll sit a couple behind the Pilot House when running to avoid any spray. It's the best 20 bucks I think I've ever spent.

I have to agree with the bean bag chairs. We have used them for years in the Gulf of Mexico where we will run 30-50 miles in a short chp to get to deep water. Bean bags are the trick as they are very comfortable, easy to stow and great fro a nap on the way back in at the end of the day.

I have similar to these that I fabricated about 8 years ago.
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/166 ... ilot-seats
Mine are 1/4 thick aluminum plate, about 15 inches square.
2 stainless heavy duty hinges mount it to gunwales close to the foreward factort rod holder.
I found a few aluminum bases that fit 1 1/2 round aluminum pipe that are mounted underl and pole push in when I want the seats up.
I had an upholstery shop pad and cover them with white covering, and even have a 2nd white covering that snaps to underneath covering the top and they still look lits new after 8 years ( Had them on another before the Parker)
These seats are very useful, out of the way when down, comfortable when needed and act as coming pads when down!
I've been thinking about making another to go across the transom to seat 2 or 3 (like the new seat parker now offers)

I spent the look on the folding seat (per wifey) but would have rather bought the large cooler with snap-on cushion from West Marine.
dave

Back