Telescoping outrigger tangles

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalm-c

Reaction score
I have a set of 15' taco telescoping poles that are double rigged for two lines each. The lines get severely tangled no matter how carefully I stow them.
I was wondering if any one had developed a solution to this extremely frustrating scenario?
I have the bolt on brackets/hook thingies to coil the lines around, yet the blocks/pullys always seem to spin up and tangle the whole system.

WOW!
Did I "stump the chumps"!!?? :shock:
Perhaps the answer is to de-rig them everytime....
Or untangle them everytime...
or worse yet,
untangle them before re-rigging them everytime.

Or, rent a slip, paint the bottom and upgrade to some fixed 18' poles and have done with it....

I've been hoping that someone else had some suggestions, as I have a similar problem. I was hoping the clamp on taco line keepers would do the trick. What I did last year was to coil the lines and then secure them to the outrigger poles using two velcro straps. Maybe using a few velcro straps in addition to the taco line keepers would do the trick?

-- Tom

If you keep them in the mounts as I did with mine, rather than remove and stow them, this might work. I would quite simply retract/collapse the poles and connect the snubbers to a point closer to the bow of the boat. This would keep the lines from tangling and provide enough tension to keep the poles from extending.
For my purposes double rigging the 15 foot poles was not worth it either. I preferred to use an angled rod holder off the radar arch. The short rigger line only gave me about a foot or so more in the spread.
Maybe this will help?

A belated thanks to matt for his reply, I wound up doing just as he recommended and it was working fine until.....
The Taco rigger mounts I got have a spring loaded pin you need to pull in order to rotate the riggers out over the water. In even light seas, the wave action/boat movement would slowly back the pin of the port rigger out until free and the rigger pole would "fall" back a notch or two....at first it wasn't that big a deal but then it became more frequent, and eventually the starboard one started doing this....the quick fix was to tie the riggers off in position to the bow rail, this works but it doesn't look very ship shape to say the least....
New Lee's wishbones and 19" extra strong poles arrived today.
If your an ebay shopper don't bid on the like new Taco rigger set being sold out of Florida.

Back