The New Raymarine Sport Autopilot is out!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
This is the next step up from the S1000. The unit requires no cutting of hydraulic lines, nor does it require a pump.

The drive attaches to your wheel shaft and is "steered" via a fluxgate compass and computer brain. For boats 25- 30 feet.

Pricier than the s1000 but less than other "full fledged" autopilots.

MSRP of the core pack is about $1300, plus the cost of the st7002 control head, MSRP $800. My guess is that the whole deal from an online retailer will come in around $1500.

I think I'm in on this one.

OTL,
keep us in the loop if you get this. As an AP is the last piece of the puzzle for my beloved FishPimp Edition 23SE.

I am not sure what the advantage is of this system? Other than if you have a cable drive system you can use it (I would guess this is their target market). That is not the case with most Parkers. It does have the flux gate compass (you can add that to the S1000 for similar money). I do not like the fact that the wheel will be turning back and forth while under autopilot control and may get bumped. Also there have been times while on auto pilot that I had to grab the wheel to avoid an object in the water and then let the AP take back over without ever having to disengage it. With this set up I would be scared to strip the gears or not be able to disengage in time? Also in their marketing they reference for single helm application. Not sure but this sounds like you cannot use it with dual helms? I would do you homework on this one. If it is the controller you like you can add that to a S1000 and still have the wireless remote (I love the remote when trolling from the rear station). I did not have to cut any Hydro lines to install? Everything came with it including the fluid. I installed it in 1 hour start to finish and there is a video on Raymarines site. The gear drive with this Sport AP system is probably more likely to wear out than a hydro pump? It's a big choice I would do your due diligence and decide what is important for your style fishing, cruising, and application. I wouldn’t consider this one. Go Hydro. :wink:

maxout":3s2q7bex said:
I am not sure what the advantage is of this system? Other than if you have a cable drive system you can use it (I would guess this is their target market). That is not the case with most Parkers. It does have the flux gate compass (you can add that to the S1000 for similar money). I do not like the fact that the wheel will be turning back and forth while under autopilot control and may get bumped. Doesn't the wheel turn with the S1000 also? Also there have been times while on auto pilot that I had to grab the wheel to avoid an object in the water and then let the AP take back over without ever having to disengage it. With this set up I would be scared to strip the gears or not be able to disengage in time? Good Point. Also in their marketing they reference for single helm application. Not sure but this sounds like you cannot use it with dual helms? I would do you homework on this one. If it is the controller you like you can add that to a S1000 and still have the wireless remote (I love the remote when trolling from the rear station). I did not have to cut any Hydro lines to install? What I should have said is that you have to add the pump between your motor and helm. This requires you install new hydraulic lines. Everything came with it including the fluid. I installed it in 1 hour start to finish and there is a video on Raymarines site. The gear drive with this Sport AP system is probably more likely to wear out than a hydro pump? Good Point. It's a big choice I would do your due diligence and decide what is important for your style fishing, cruising, and application. I wouldn’t consider this one. Go Hydro. :wink:

Going to the Tampa boat show today, will talk to the Raymarine dealer again. Initially, they told me the s1000 was a marginal application for a boat the size of our 2520's . We were pushing the capabilities of the s1000. This system was designed to meet the needs of the 23-30' boaters who had EITHER cable or hydraulic steering.

TheOtherLine":3e8fujjn said:
maxout":3e8fujjn said:
I am not sure what the advantage is of this system? Other than if you have a cable drive system you can use it (I would guess this is their target market). That is not the case with most Parkers. It does have the flux gate compass (you can add that to the S1000 for similar money). I do not like the fact that the wheel will be turning back and forth while under autopilot control and may get bumped. Doesn't the wheel turn with the S1000 also? Nope, like when turning the rear station the engine moves but not the other wheel Also there have been times while on auto pilot that I had to grab the wheel to avoid an object in the water and then let the AP take back over without ever having to disengage it. With this set up I would be scared to strip the gears or not be able to disengage in time? Good Point. Also in their marketing they reference for single helm application. Not sure but this sounds like you cannot use it with dual helms? I would do you homework on this one. If it is the controller you like you can add that to a S1000 and still have the wireless remote (I love the remote when trolling from the rear station). I did not have to cut any Hydro lines to install? What I should have said is that you have to add the pump between your motor and helm. This requires you install new hydraulic lines. The short lines come with the pump and easy to install (Watch Raymarine S1000 Installation Video On Their Site). Everything came with it including the fluid. I installed it in 1 hour start to finish and there is a video on Raymarines site. The gear drive with this Sport AP system is probably more likely to wear out than a hydro pump? Good Point. It's a big choice I would do your due diligence and decide what is important for your style fishing, cruising, and application. I wouldn’t consider this one. Go Hydro. :wink:

Going to the Tampa boat show today, will talk to the Raymarine dealer again. Initially, they told me the s1000 was a marginal application for a boat the size of our 2520's . We were pushing the capabilities of the s1000. This system was designed to meet the needs of the 23-30' boaters who had EITHER cable or hydraulic steering.

I use the S1000 and love it. Works geat.

The only problem I have with the S1000 are the patterns for trolling. The ZigZag pattern is great for trolling in the Chesapeake except the S1000 patterns make their turns too sharp thus allowing the lures to drop to the bottom since the bay is not very deep.

SommerTime":20rc9np0 said:
The only problem I have with the S1000 are the patterns for trolling. The ZigZag pattern is great for trolling in the Chesapeake except the S1000 patterns make their turns too sharp thus allowing the lures to drop to the bottom since the bay is not very deep.

I believe that can be adjusted. I remember reading the manual and you can play with rudder gain, response and some to other setting, to make turns or the amount of helm tighter or less tight.

When Ray announced the X5, I was very excited about it because it was touted as the AP for boats up to 30' and priced right. I did not want to spend $3,000+ dollars for an AP. After a lot of research and discussions with the Ray people, I decided to go with the s1000.

I don't troll at under 3 knots and my primary purpose will be to get from point A, 60 miles out to point B.

Should have it installed by next week and looking forward to playing with it.

Yes you can adjust the size of the zig-zag and the larger one makes a gentle turn. I don't use it much because the Bay is so busy but have in the ocean along shelfs. I speed the boat or slow accordingly to raise or drop baits.

I believe that can be adjusted. I remember reading the manual and you can play with rudder gain, response and some to other setting, to make turns or the amount of helm tighter or less tight.

I tried adjusting the rudder gain, response and could not figure out how to make each and what adjustment. I did not try to adjust the speed of the boat to control the bait drop and perhaps I should give that a try. But is you can give me some direction as to how to adjust the rudder gain, response to soften the turns would be appreciated.

So in reading the manual it would appear that to soften the turns I would have to adjust the "Rudder Gain" to a low number. It would also appear that I could leave the "Counter Rudder" in the mid range, and leave the "Response" in the mid range. What do you think of my conclusions?

SommerTime":308d3rkz said:
So in reading the manual it would appear that to soften the turns I would have to adjust the "Rudder Gain" to a low number. It would also appear that I could leave the "Counter Rudder" in the mid range, and leave the "Response" in the mid range. What do you think of my conclusions?

That's the conclusion I would draw. Nice thing about it is, if that doesn't work, it's easily adjustable. :D

Back