Towing a 9.6 Beam Boat (25XX)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin G.

Reaction score
Hello Parker folks,

I am looking pretty long and hard at the Parker product line.

The boat will be used mostly for Albacore Tuna off the central coast of California and near shore Salmon. Included in the mix will be a jaunt to a lake or two and the San Francisco Bay. But the boat will be used mostly offshore.

My preference is the 2520 DV or better yet: A used 2530 DV with a diesel engine. I have seen a number of these configurations for sale as of late.

The catch seems to be the beam of the boat @ 9.6 feet. More than a few folks have told me that I would need to have a wide-load permit for each county I tow the boat through,

Just towing the boat to the ocean launch ramp from home would involve Alameda, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties. If I wanted to launch at Monterey, add that county, if I wanted to launch in Half Moon Bay, add San Mateo County as well.

I haven’t even figured out what counties I will need to be permitted for if I wanted to take the boat to Tahoe. That is something on the order of an additional 5 or so counties I would need to drive through to get to Tahoe.

Is this just a California requirement? This all seems like a real pain in the Hoo-Ha to me. I have not looked into the cost or the life-span of these permits, but they sure seem a hassle just to tow your boat to the launch ramp

A 2320 will work just OK, but I want more boat under me when out 40+ miles chasing Tuna.

There is no problem with my tow vehicle as it is a Dodge 2500 Cummins TD 4x4 (rated to tow 12,300 pounds) with the overload springs form the 3500 (that ups the tow rating to 13,500 pounds).

What do you California folks do when towing your 25XX Parkers?

Thanks in advance for your considered responses and help, Your real world experience(s) will be greatly helpful.

Thanks & Best regards

Kevin G

Have never heard of a county-by-county permit system. All the ones I've encountered have been State-wide (with exclusions for cities, which seem to have an exemption that allows them to have their own permits). The Left coast may be so FUBAR that you need a State permit, a permit for each county you go through, and a permit for each city limit you enter. :( :( :(

Well shoot . . . that was confusing at best and didn't address trailerboat widths and requlations.

As far as boats go, the limit seems to be 14 ft! with a pilot car and etc.

I just wannt tow a 9.6 beam Parker!

The boat show is coming up, perhaps I could ask the Parker rep at the show.

Dang . . . what a hassle!

Kevin G.

Not much help here and not from California, but here on the other side, N.J. , I'm sure is just about equal in useless regulations as you are facing. Me, I trailered mine from MA. back to N.J. when I bought it used. Should I have had a permit? I guess the answer is yes, especially if an accident were to occur, someone might pick up on the fact that it was a bit wide. Another obstacle you have to be aware of is the width of "Toll Plazas" as they are referred to here. I think they are only about 10' wide. Are their any on your route? Check and make sure. You don't want to leave half the boat at one of those! Do I tow mine without a permit? Yes, but not very far luckily now that I have it home. I also hold a class A CDL which still doesn't matter but might stand for something if I get caught. As mentioned in an earlier post at least see what's involved in doing it the right way, it might not be that bad there. Here in good old N.J. , I just hook up and (fuggettabouttit) :roll: :lol: :oops: :lol:

All vehicle codes are done by state. So you would not need a permit for each county. I believe the permit in CA is around $70 a year. I would check with the DMV or AAA for exact details on restrictions and cost.

Drew

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I will check with (shudder) the DMV and more over AAA.

Thanks again!

Boat show here I come!

Whoo Hoo!

Kevin G.

It is a real pain in the ***. If you want to be legal, you need to have over width banners on the boat while towing, you cannot tow at night or before daylight hours. You are basically treated just like any long haul truck. It really makes things difficult. If towing is going to happen often with your boat, I would maybe try to find an 8'6" beam boat, maybe a 2320?

Awwwwww poo.

What a pain.

That 2320 is looking better at the moment . . . DANGIT!

Thanks Porkchunker.

Kevin G.

Hello Parker folks,

After more than several phone calls, I connected with the person that issues the towing permits for the state of California.

Yes, I need to get a permit @ $ 90.00/year.

Yes, I need to get a banner for the boat when I tow it.

For the routes I would travel: HWY 101 south to Monterey, HWY 17 West to Santa Cruz and HWY 92 West to Half Moon Bay, there are NO time, daylight or holiday limitations!

Whoo Hoo!

Kevin G.

Back