Trailer Brakes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Cibran

Reaction score
I just replaced my brakes with a new set of Kodiaks S.S. on all four wheels,also replaced master cylender as it was faulty,bled all lines and everything seems to be working,however when braking or pulling away I get a loud clunk from the actuator moving backwards and forward. is this normal ?? I do not remember this ever happening before.

What did I do wrong ?/

Robert

hey Robert, sounds like you have surge brakes like mine. when i take off, it is normal for a clunk when the coupler slides fwd if i don't creep fwd after a stop. however, when stopping it is smooth with no clunk as the coupler slides back and engages the brakes.

i don't know what the issue could be in your case.

Robert Cibran":c7t80iu5 said:
I just replaced my brakes with a new set of Kodiaks S.S. on all four wheels,also replaced master cylender as it was faulty,bled all lines and everything seems to be working,however when braking or pulling away I get a loud clunk from the actuator moving backwards and forward. is this normal ?? I do not remember this ever happening before.

What did I do wrong ?/

Robert

Nothing. Mine does the same thing. So, either it's normal or we both have problems....

thanks for all the replies,its a Demco Master Cylender,if some of you are experiencing the same as I'm having,then I guess its normal,will check again,thanks again.

Robert

What is the clunk noise caused by when I brake and accelerate on a surge brake trailer?

Surge Brake Actuator devices are actuated by the kinetic force of the trailer still wanting to move forward when the tow vehicle starts to slow down quicker than the trailers natural loss of speed. This action of the trailer compresses the actuators sliding components and actuates the brakes through a hydraulic system similar to cars. When forward towing, a vehicle exerts a force that pulls on the nose of the trailer and keeps the brakes in their released position. The Clunk you hear is the actuator returning to its natural position.

It is possible that the braking system on your trailer needs to be serviced. If the brake shoes are out of adjustment or the hydraulic system is dry or has air in it, you will have excessive movement in the actuator causing a louder than normal clunking. This condition may effect the braking of your trailer and it may be necessary to have your trailer serviced by a qualified technician.
http://www.prostarusa.net/faqs/default.aspx

:shock: my loud chunk was not normal, as I had initially thought> early this spring the lack of rotor polish after use of the trailer was bothering me. Opened the brake fluid resivor, bone dry :? I dont think the new trailer ever had fluid in it. Must be shipped dry to dealer for hi-way regs or safety. Just a guess as never seemed to brake well and my little Exploer went through the pads rather quickly.
OK long story short, added fluid, gravity bled lines and pump actuator piston with screw driver a few times to get air out and prime. O M G :D do I have brakes now and shinny self polished rotors :p The big hill I have go down full of fuel to launch was peice o' cake now that I finnally have brake fluid in the lines. :oops:

Thanks to all,I figured what was wrong with the loud clunk,I replaced the Damper Shocks both of them which are under master brake cylender and problem solved.

Robert

Back