Trailer tires dry-rotted -- which ones to replace with?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchunker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All four of my trailer tires have lots of hairline cracks. One has a bulge (probably a separation from a stone bruise or touching a curb). They are GoodYear Marathons.

Any tips on replacement tires? Which ones? Where to obtain?

Dave

aka

carlisle. Depending on the size that you have walmart sells trailer tires with the rim for cheap. If i were you i would find whatever is the cheapest and put the trailer on blocks after you use it so you dont keep killing tires.

Porkchuner

What Fish Factory said! I have used Trailer Parts Superstore many times and always had good prices and service. I have also bought tires mounted on wheels from them and the shipping wasn't that bad because there isnt any packaging, just a label, and out the door. They also have Goodyear Marathons.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm

Another vote for Marathons from Eastern Marine.
Take a little time and drive up to Newark to save on shipping.
No sales tax in DE. :wink:

All trailer tires stink. That said, Marathons have done okay on my rig but I am very open to trying another brand. Are you covering them to prevent sun damage?

My Maxxis radial trailers tire have been very good. Burned thru some carlisles in a year. Too many bad Marathon stories, and they are spendy. I think I got them from unsertire.com (call them, these are not listed on the site), had them mounted at wally world.

Ranger Tim":1zq2fom7 said:
Are you covering them to prevent sun damage?

Do we cover our car/truck tires to prevent sun damage? That's why I use passenger radials or LT tires on my trailer. The trick is to find them with the correct load rating for the trailer.

And I mount my own.
IMG_2223.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34542

More here

No...I have not been covering them to protect them from the UV. The boat has a full cover, but nothing for the tires. Guess I'll have to fix that once I replace them.

I've been up North of Baltimore to Eastern Marine...like a candy store for trailer parts. Guess I'll make a run up there one of these Saturday's for tires and some other hardware (U-bolts, etc.).

Thanks for the tips.

Dave

aka

I have used a local shop for my truck tires. I made a mistake on my own part, I asked him if he could get trailer tires about 3 years ago instead of getting them elsewhere.

He said he had a good, decent price tire. Didn't recognize the name. After awhile I read the full stamp on the tires. Made in China, Nanco I think is the brand. Wasn't that thrilled to throw more money at China. I don't trailer much, they are doing OK.

Dana

Had some Nanco's on a horse trailer once and went to balance them and during spin balance they looked like an egg going around, not impressed.

Marathons or the Carlisle's.

I balance all my tire's from boat trailer to enclosed car hauler, much smother ride for the truck towing not to mention the boat and car. :D

Latest posts

Back