Upgrading from Steiger

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsg-asmw

Reaction score
Hello CP! I currently have a 82(?) 25 Steiger. It has had many lives before I found it. I have been happy with the boat but I don't want to repower it. I'm looking at a new 2520 XL or XLD with single F350 for this year. Does anyone have input on the main differences btw the XL and the XLD? Does anyone have performance info on the F350? And I like the open back but want a second station on the missing bulkhead. Has anyone seen this? Thanks in advance!
Did anyone else work the NY Boat Show? What a long painful week!

Well i didnt work at the N.Y. Boat show but i was there 2 days looking around total of like 16hrs and that was ruff then went to providence Rhode Island show for few hours so i was pretty busy myself!!!!Welcome aboard here to classic parker someone will def. answer your Questions!!!

nsg-asmw":sl5aqfcl said:
I'm looking at a new 2520 XL or XLD with single F350 for this year. Does anyone have input on the main differences btw the XL and the XLD? Does anyone have performance info on the F350? And I like the open back but want a second station on the missing bulkhead. Has anyone seen this?

The biggest difference between the XL and the XLD is the amount of deadrise at the transom.
Specifications can be seen here:

XL - http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_l ... ?boatid=17
XLD - http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_l ... ?boatid=16

The F350 has only been available for a short time, therefore finding first-person experience with that hull and motor combo may be difficult to come by until next season. I'm not aware of any of our more active members who have that motor yet, though there has been some discussion of it here in the past that could be found using the forum search feature.

As for the rear station on an open-back model 2520, that is something I can help with. :)

Parker offers two rear station options. One is the bulkhead mount that attaches to the stbd side cabin bulkhead, the other is the free-standing cockpit station. Since the open back model does away with the bulkhead that would be used for mounting the bulkhead station, the free-standing option is the most appropriate choice.

Mine is not a Parker factory install (it was an addition installed 2 years ago), but it is very close to what the factory offers.

Image-B8C14EBD290511DC.jpg

Image-0B02E34F59B911DC.jpg

Hope this helps.

I guess you can never have too much power..... but.... I just don't see a 350 needed on a 2520XL... I'd rather put the price difference in some other feature and get the F250.....

Richard

LXD is the DV and has a max hull HP of 500. Generally recommended minimum HP on any hull is 75% of max. That equates to 375 HP. Recommended power is a single 350, or twin 150s or 200s. So a 350 would be appropriate.

BTW, I'd put twin F-225s on rather than twin F-200s (same weight). I hear the F-150s are a bit strong (under-rated), so they actually test out at closer to 160-165 hp. I also hear the F225s are weak (over-rated) and test out closer to 210-215 hp. Not sure where the F-200s fall.

Dave

aka

Thanks for the info and pics. My Steiger has a bimini and is pretty much open for 18' from the transom to the cabin door. I suppose with the open back i wouldn't need the 2nd station? Is there an option for an open cabin vs a cabin door in the PH? Some of the px here show cabin doors (inside the PH).
I have had and run many F250s. I figured I'd go with the F350 just bc its new and different. My current boat has a mid 80s V4 140 with some low compression so i figure its about 120. This puts my top end at maybe 24 mph. I would like that to be 35 with a 30 cruise. The diminishing returns on a repower is leading my away from the Steiger. I am a Yamaha dealer and could give myself a great deal, but I think it might be time for something new...
Thanks for a great forum.

nsg-asmw":3375zkeg said:
I suppose with the open back i wouldn't need the 2nd station?

I did well without the rear station for the first two years that I owned the boat. With the canvas rolled up, getting from the helm to the rods in the cockpit was pretty easy...

But now that I've added the rear station, there is a definite advantage to having it. Visibility while docking and maneuvering in close quarters is much easier from the rear station. It also allows you to fish structure such as bridge pilings and rockpiles while keeping the boat positioned from the cockpit.

Back