Ventilated deck hatches

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kev, I would mount it over the tank(s).

Now I know you have three so you need to figure where that best would be but I don't think putting a pie plate in the slam hatch is the way to go in my opinion, that maybe just invites more water intrusion.

How do the ones in the centers, forward of the slam hatch and/or near the pilothouse connect to the rest of the underdeck tank areas?

I would do the pie plate just infront of the slam hatch so it is in the sun most of the day.

Attachments

• megabyte deck.jpg
    megabyte deck.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 584
Bryan 2530":2qnslxj8 said:
Kev, I would mount it over the tank(s).

Now I know you have three so you need to figure where that best would be but I don't think putting a pie plate in the slam hatch is the way to go in my opinion, that maybe just invites more water intrusion.

How do the ones in the centers, forward of the slam hatch and/or near the pilothouse connect to the rest of the underdeck tank areas?

I would do the pie plate just infront of the slam hatch so it is in the sun most of the day.

The two saddle tanks have been unused since about 2006, and the fill caps are labeled "Do Not Use" in red.
Honestly, I'd love to cut the deck and remove both of those tanks. I'll bet it would lighten her up a lot! :shock:
If I do that, the main tank will be inspected and if she is without issues, she will be coated in coal tar epoxy and re-installed.

The way I am oriented in my slip, the rear plates (near the slam hatch) gets the morning and afternoon sun.
The one near the pilothouse gets late afternoon and evening, so I might do both.

Another option would be to do both hatches aft over the saddle tanks as those hatches are larger (7" I believe) and get more sun.
The space under deck is all connected, so either option would work for what I want it to do.

Just got back from the boat...
I used Starbright 'Zipper and Snap Lubricant' on all of the deck o-rings and snapped the covers back in place after airing it out for 36 hours.
Should be watertight for another year. 8)

I'll do some measuring and make up a materials list for this project.
Oh yes... there will be photos. :D

Wow...
Did a net search for the Marinco N20704S (4") fan and everyone wants $190 for one, and I was wanting two. :(

I think this project is going on the back burner.

Certainly less expensive than the Marinco. Thanks for the tip. :)
2 fans on order.

That is a really clever concept Bryan. Beckson / Nicro might be interested in this set-up. I think that's a marketable product. Good work.

Parker1817":3r2t779d said:
With the solar fans is there a chance of water coming thru them when it rains?

My solar vents have the option of pulling air in, or exhausting it out.
Mine are set to exhaust out and I leave a pie plate in the cabin open so the air moves from the cabin to the rear deck, then out.
The design of those fans do not allow water intrusion from rain or wash water.

Back