Venting / Report - NMEA connection success

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought an iCom 422 to replace my dead radio and this weekend, set about connecting it to my Raymarine C80. I'm not a complete idiot but between both manufacturers manuals, I couldn't figure out what needed connecting. Did a search on THT and found this thread that saved the day, see here. The radio now shows my position and as soon as I splash again I'll try out the position request thing. Anyone have any success with it?

Anyway, rant time
1) Why do manufacturers make it so tough to connect these devices? NMEA standards are not new.

2) Why do I again find myself splicing electronics safety gear that will be in a marine environment? Talk about inviting trouble.

We all like to be different :lol: Universal is a relative term and some standards would be nice I agree. Use jelly beans for your connections and you will not have any problems. 3M makes the best ones and are availible at any local electrical supply companies.

Yep, I totally agree. What a nightmare. I had to connect two Icoms, one Simram to the Furuno NavNet, you end up splicing/soldering/heat shrinking wire.

Thus the problem with a standard that is electrical/protocol only, they should have required a common connector.

Make sure you put both the inputs and outputs (Tx, Rx) pairs to the radio, that way you not only have your position going out, but you can capture other folks numbers and shoot them right to the plotter.

Hard Core":xa090133 said:
Make sure you put both the inputs and outputs (Tx, Rx) pairs to the radio, that way you not only have your position going out, but you can capture other folks numbers and shoot them right to the plotter.

Good Point, nice on the Radar you can see who you are talking too..

Blue Sea makes a "euro" terminal block that is perfect for joining these small gage wires used in NMEA installations. No crimping or soldering required.

I'll have to see if I can locate a photo.

Megabyte":66c007zv said:
Blue Sea makes a "euro" terminal block that is perfect for joining these small gage wires used in NMEA installations. No crimping or soldering required.

I'll have to see if I can locate a photo.

Raymarine includes a small one with there C & E Series screens. (Or did with mine at least)

:arrow: Tip- put wires you are trying to connect together in the same terminal instead of across from one another. That way you only have one connection instead of two. Remove terminal set screw and put lock thread on the threads and electrolytic grease on the connections :wink:

Back