VHF saga continues....

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaJoe

Reaction score
Ok, thanks to Dale, I have a better idea of wiring basics. (BTW,nice little writeup Dale!)
I want to mount my Icom 504 on the interior hard top, forward starboard corner. I'll burn the carpet with a cut golf shaft. :shock:
My question is this: how thick is the hardtop? Should I thru bolt the bracket or just use the appropriate length screws based on the thickness of the hardtop?

Thanks!

TunaJoe":1kr61r87 said:
My question is this: how thick is the hardtop? Should I thru bolt the bracket or just use the appropriate length screws based on the thickness of the hardtop?
You ask ... you get ...

The roof on my '92 vintage is 13/16" in the middle of the boat, NOT counting the added "V" rib support that is placed about one foot forward of the forward window frame. Does your boat have this reinforcement piece? One of my two VHFs are mounted onto this rib, but even without it, I would have zero reservations about mounting a VHF to the hardtop from the inside using self-tapping wood screws.

Layup2.JPG

Layup1.JPG

Dale
Thanks for posting the thicknesses of different areas of Parkers!
I went to WestMarine and bought screws that were 1" long. This will account for the thickness of the mount (5/16")and still not perforate the hardtop.(I hope)
Not sure what V-shaped support you are talking about. Is it outside of the window? I've enclosed a few pictures of where I want to mount the radio.
Perhaps you can tell me if the reinforcemnt piece is there or not.

Attachments

• vhfcorner.JPG
    vhfcorner.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 318
  • vhfmount.JPG
    vhfmount.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 318
Back