WAHOO!!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalm-c

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am in the middle of hosting a fishing tournament between the two installation crews that work for my business....We are coming into our slow season and I thought this would be a good team building activity, plus I would get two days fishing in the same week!!!!

I am going to cut and paste some things here so bear with me, it's worth the read.
Here is what I posted above the toilet at my shop;

GENTLEMEN
You are all invited to participate in the first ever

PREMIERGARAGE OF PALM BEACH
FISHING TOURNAMENT

CABINET CREW (6/19) vs. FLOOR CREW (6/21)

Judgement will be based on a point system.
The team with the highest number of points will win

THE PRIZE!

Lindsey will be the Judge with final authority in all decisions.

Cabinet Crew Throws Down the Gauntlet;

Cabinet Crew fished yesterday.

It was a very nice day on the water with light winds and 2-3' waves. There was a lot of fish activity (mostly bonita) in the morning but we were unable to hook up. Mid morning we boated a small dolphin (mahi-mahi, not Flipper) and threw him back as he was undersized. Ron (cab installer) scored some points for puking, and was feeling poorly all day. Around noon the sun was high and the fish activity stopped completely, so we headed into the intra coastal and found a nice flats area to get off the boat and cool down in the tidal waters. We put-putted down the intra coastal and saw many awesome properties / disgusting displays of wealth along the way. Ron had to get home so we dropped him at the dock, bought more ballyhoo (trolling bait) and headed back out....Myself, Lindsey, and Edguardo our lead Cab installer. We were immediately getting hits once leaving the inlet for the open ocean, and whenever we would reel in to check our baits they were mutilated. While we were all having a nice time, frustration levels were increasing....we knew the fish were there, but we simple couldn't hook up.

But then....
Around 5 p.m. one of the reels starts screaming as line is going overboard. "FISH ON!"

For the next 30-40 minutes it was keystone cops as we fought the fish. We would make some headway and get back some line only to have the fish run and take it all back. Edguardo did 99% off the heavy work as Lindsey and I coached and maneuvered the boat to our advantage, at times having to back down on the fish in an effort to get back some line and prevent Edguardo from getting spooled.
At some point we began to realize we had hooked into a monster. We didn't know what it was as it kept deep, and we never caught a glimpse of it until the final moments of the fight. When we finally got the fish up and near the boat I think everyone just stopped and stared. I know the thought that went through my head was "Holy Crap, what are we going to do now?"
We had brought along side an absolutely gorgeous Wahoo (Ono). A fish prized for it's speed and fine eating. She was blue and purple and HUGE.
Thankfully she was also pretty well worn out.
Edguardo moved forward and got the fish in close to the boat, and I reached over with the gaff and heaved her aboard.
Dumb luck finally shown down on us as this fish was not only very large, but has a mouth full of very sharp teeth....I think my gaff shot severed her spine as she never moved once out of the water. A fish this size flipping around a small boat with a mouth like that could have been very dangerous. We all sat around and admired this incredible animal.

We headed back for the dock all the while celebrating what very well may be a once in a lifetime experience.

As far as team building, the only thing that could have been better was Ron still being on board. It took the efforts of all of us to boat this fish.....Lindsey’s knots and wire ties held up perfectly, Edguardo worked his ass off reeling this thing in, and I filled in with some coaching, boat handling and what turned out to be the best gaff shot I may ever make.

At the boat ramp we cleaned and divvied the meat. We headed to the warehouse to clean the boat and hang what remained of the trophy across the floor installer’s truck windshield.

We had a great day on the water and everyone went home with enough fish to feed a village.

So tomorrow the floor guys have their work cut out for them. It will be tough to come out of the hole they are in now. In my exhaustion I left the score card on the boat so I can't give a final cabinet team score in this post, but will give the scores once both teams have fished.

See Pictures Here;

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... ig&notag=1

Back