Want an aluminum trailer. Roller Trailer Or Bunk?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOut

Reaction score
II have a EZ-Loader Roller trailer (galvanized) and really would like a trailer that looks as good as my Parker. The EZ-Loader is only a few months old and looks like Doo Doo. I had a 35' catamaran previous and had a custom aluminum trailer made for it that was sweet! I have been looking recently for a aluminum trailer with rollers and have not found one I am confident in. Some people I spoke with say aluminum trailers flex too much with rollers for a heavy boat like a Parker and should only use a steel trailer if you want rollers. I am wondering if anyone has an aluminum roller trailer under there Parker? If so what is your opinion of it? Who make it?

By the way I have a 2007 2520SL, F-250 Rear, Station and weighed it with a full tank of fuel @ 8750#s Minus the 1750# Trailer = 7000#'s.

My dealer did the math based on the manufacturer’s specs and came up with 6300#'s gross boat weight with fuel and sold me a 6500# trailer???? TOO SMALL AND HAVING PROBLEMS WITH BRAKES ON TRAILER. This is why I am looking for a new trailer in the 8500# plus carry capacity range.

Max'd:

I recently sold a 2520XL with an F225. Included with the sale was a Loadmaster aluminum bunk trailer. To replace the 2520XL, I bought a 210CC. And I bought another Loadmaster bunk trailer to accompany it.

None of the ramps in our area, from Annapolis down to the Solomons, presented me with any problems single-handedly launching or retrieving my 2520XL.

The trailer you have is far too small for the boat. My current Loadmaster trailer is a 6000# gross, 5000# net trailer.

Drop me a line at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss Loadmaster trailers. I bought my two from the dealer in Norfolk, but I had some help in spec'ing them out from the Loadmaster factory.

If you want, include your phone number and I'll give you a call.

H.

Your first step in deciding between bunk or roller is evaluating the landings you launch at. If you have good facilities with nice, steep ramps, get the bunk trailer (wish I had). If you are stuck with shallow, crappy landings get a roller. I tend to launch at tried and true ramps that were designed well. The roller is more difficult to handle than a good bunk trailer that you can dunk and drive onto easily. I will replace my current roller with an aluminum bunk when practical/affordable.

I have only launched twice at ramps where the rollers made it possible to retreive when the tide was wrong. I would have been screwed with a bunk trailer in those circumstances... but then I wouldn't have launched there to begin with!

I vote for bunk trailers. As previously posted very shallow ramps may be easier with a roller trailer but I still prefer the bunk trailers. I believe the bunk trailers supply more support for the boat, especially if the boat is a bit off center. A roller trailer will allow the boat to roll off too quickly for my taste and makes it more difficult to load when you are alone.

JWL":1zgcj9l1 said:
I vote for bunk trailers. As previously posted very shallow ramps may be easier with a roller trailer but I still prefer the bunk trailers. I believe the bunk trailers supply more support for the boat, especially if the boat is a bit off center. A roller trailer will allow the boat to roll off too quickly for my taste and makes it more difficult to load when you are alone.

My problem is I do launch in areas where the ramps are not the best and do not want to back my truck way into the water. I'm thinking that maybe the deciding factor for me. . I can’t find anyone who recommends an aluminum roller trailer because the way the weight is distributed when loading & unloading. Even though I hate the looks of galvanized trailers I probably will have to settle for it to get a good sturdy roller trailer. On the other hand I have decided to get the electric over hydraulic brakes with discs on all four wheels so I can manually activate the brakes from inside the truck and adjust them accordingly. I may get creative and have some polished stainless covers made to go over the frame of the trailer….just a thought.

Thanks for the input and sugestions...

JWL":1lm36ldf said:

I find just the oposite with my 21 SE. I have a galvanized Venture roller trailer and I find it easier to load and unload with the rollers when I'm by myself. I don't have to back as far into the water to get on or off. The way mine's set up you can't get it off center when loading. I use the boat by myself most of the time and feel the rollers are a definite plus for me.

Back