Washing Gas Tank ??

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

Reaction score
OK I need some sage advise
I was doing some cleaning on the boat and tying down for the storm.
I thought I would pop my inspection plates again and check out my tank and hoses with a flash light
I didn't see much of a surprise just what was expected some salt and dirt sitting on top of the tank
Hoses looked OK sending unit etc...
Well I though maybe I should wash the tank down with fresh water and salt away
And rinse off the dirt and salt residue
But I have done nothing as of yet
But I thought I would run it across the peanut gallery and see what was said
I know the water would go to the bilge
And I did think some water might get stuck in a pocket of foam or whatever
But If I left the hatches open Ii would think she would dry out and she would be a little cleaner and dry.

Now Ill ask it AM I nuts or what say you?

DO NOT PUT WATER IN OR NEAR THE FOAM!!! Unless your boat is different than other Parkers, the tank sits in a sealed foam filled box. I am not aware of a way for the water to drain to the bilge. Even if it could Crevice Corrosion will occur between any trapped moisture between the tank and the foam. This is the demise of aluminum tanks.

The gas tank compartment does not drain into the bilge. There is a pvc pipe that connects the aft bilge to the front bilge that is glassed in under the tank. Any water in the tank comaprtment stays there like an enclosed greenhouse. When the deck heats up, water evaporates then condenses under the deck then "rains" down on the tank. The tank will be living on borrowed time..

Don't wash ... if anything, leave OPEN on warm days to ventilate. Do a search on the venting deck plate I made ... a dry bilge is a happy bilge ..

Thanks Guys ! :)
This is why I like this forum!
I have not done anything and wont ! :lol:
I do leave my hatches and door and windows open on dry days since boat was bought in 2003
So I will continue with that and keep bellow decks as dry as a have
Thanks again for everyone's feed back :wink:

windknotnc":14o4at1d said:
DO NOT PUT WATER IN OR NEAR THE FOAM!!! Unless your boat is different than other Parkers, the tank sits in a sealed foam filled box. I am not aware of a way for the water to drain to the bilge. Even if it could Crevice Corrosion will occur between any trapped moisture between the tank and the foam. This is the demise of aluminum tanks.

Ditto. 8)

Back