What is that black lever on my windlass?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOtherLine

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question but I've never had a windlass before. Always had the wife pull the anchor! :wink: I assume it's some sort of brake, but not sure. Also, is anyone familiar with this model? Is this a free fall model. Instructions don't say in 5 different languages.

Attachments

• Windlass (Small).JPG
    Windlass (Small).JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 858
Not a lever...it has a spring and a plunger underneath it. It is supposed to apply downward pressure to the rode while it is running over the gypsy (sprocket that grabs the rope and chain). If it is not exerting downward pressure, on the rode, then squirt WD-40 on the pin on which it rotates, and down on the plunger beneath it. Work it up and down a few times. Once free, apply a bit of heavier oil (like synthetic gun oil) to it.

Thank you Porkchunker.

So do you or anyone else know if it is or isn't a free fall windlass? Also, Do I still need to rig up some safety line to the rode to prevent the anchor from accidently deploying or can accidental deployment not happen?

ScoopsAhoy":qq3p4lvk said:
Do I still need to rig up some safety line to the rode to prevent the anchor from accidently deploying or can accidental deployment not happen?

I would think that a safety would be a good idea.
I don't have a windlass on my boat, but I do have a safety...
It is a simple stainless snap attached to a cleat by a piece of parachute cord, which can be seen in this photo.

Image-AADA2D48065811DC.jpg

I have the same windlass. I don't believe it has a freefall feature as I read the manual looking to answer just that.
If someone shows me wrong I will be stoked!
Dave

It's NOT a freefall windlass. I've read pro's and con's. I guess if you do a lot of fishing, a free fall is a better option. Allows you to anchor RIGHT NOW. Mine is brand new (never used) and if I could find a buyer for mine, I would replace it with the stainless free fall.

Back