What's with the 'negative comments' about notched transoms?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakr

Reaction score
I've been boating in salt water for a long, long time. Got my start in 12' dories with 15" transoms. Every so often, you run across someone who sees the notched transom on, say, a Parker 2100CC or one of the larger models, and says, "Gee, that has to be really dangerous...aren't you afraid of waves breaking over the back of the boat?"

Well, no, I'm not. But they are. Doubt they've had any experience with a huge wave or wake breaking over the transom, but they think it's a big deal.

hakr":23qvfclx said:
Doubt they've had any experience with a huge wave or wake breaking over the transom, but they think it's a big deal.

They are probably the same folks who hang out on thehulltruth and have many, many opinions about things that they know little or nothing about. :roll:

I owned a non-Parker notched transom boat prior to my present Parker, and the notch was never an issue.

My family had a 1976 19-6 Aquasport with a notched transom. We had some waves come over the transom into the cockpit. Too many people in the transom would put water on the deck too. I think it depends upon the boat. I wouldnt want to drift around the Cape May ripps with our old aquasport. I would with a parker!

I have a notched transom, fish miles offshore in snot and its never been an issue, i laugh when i hear BREAKING waves over transom, stay away from BREAKING waves! Funny. :roll:

In the Tampa Bay area, custom boat builder Calcutta makes there offshore 26 cat boats with NO transom rise at all, just motor(s) on a bracket. The deck is completely flush to the water. There is however a hinged board the comes up and locks into place if the circumstances dictate.

jim

Open transoms, very dangerous...

Everytime I anchor from stern cleat, back down in rough seas or drift in breakers the darn deck floods. I rank open transoms and global warming as the two most alarming trends around.

...and the people who believe in above the most dangerous people :D

For what it's worth, it depends on the boat.

My last boat was a great boat, wellcraft 23' walkaround vintage 1997, however the transom cutout was a nightmare. It was much much lower than the cutout on the parkers, and even drifting along in a 2-3 foot chop it would take one over the back now and then. And if you started fighting a fish and a couple guys were standing in the back, it would start to flood, which would put the scuppers under the waterline and therefore wouldn't drain. I had two large fishboxes on the floor on either side of the deck which would of course immediately fill with water, adding a ton of water weight, which would not help the situation. It was the one (main) drawback of that boat.

Was out in a quick 4-6 last week, which would have definitely sunk my old boat, and the parker took on nothing. A couple splashed came up after hitting the swim platform but that was it. And the scuppers on the parkers are up high enough that they quickly drain unlike my last boat.

My thoughts...

I had five years and lots of hours in a 2120 SC and the transom notch was never more than a minor irritant - an inch of water on the deck, maybe. Never felt insecure.

Yep same here.....we had a 80's Aquasport with a 20" transom and no splash gate or well. It was more a pita and annoyance then a safety issue. No chance in keeping your shoes dry.

Even so I would prefer a full transom if money was no object....

I have to agree that it depends on the boat. Unfortunately, I havent had the pleasure of fishing off of one of the good boats.

I used to own a 1988 Wellcraft with a notched transom. Not only was it notched, it was just wide open. (See below). That thing was terrible. All it took was a small wake while drifting in the bay and you were swamped out. Not just through the notch but over the entire back of the boat. And the 2 drain holes couldnt drain fast enough so if you took another before the first drained, you were in a mess. The splashboard helps to keep some water off of the deck, but you still end up with 10+ gallons of water sitting back there waiting to drain. Im glad I sold it for a Parker. Best move I've ever made.

I also fished on an 89 Steigercraft and that was better, but still never dry. You wouldnt fish back there without boots.

Fighting a fish with a full transom and an OB hanging off a bracket can be annoying but I still find it preferable.

Attachments

• IMG_0433 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0433 (Medium).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,589
my 21 se rarely takes on water even in the montauk rips I think the advantage of a open back is that it also lets the water out faster than small scupper holes as long as you have power

I wouldn’t own a boat under 25' without a notch.

My feet stay dry. 8)

When I purchased my 2520 in 2005 I got to make that decision.

Personally I don’t like the idea of the bracket. I think it puts way to much weight on the stern of the boat. I think that’s why we see so much talk about larger trim tabs here. Maybe with a single engine it’s not so much of an issue, but with my twin F150’s I would definitely rather have the notched transom.

When I purchased my Parker they had a special edition 2520 that from my understanding Mark Wisch either helped or talked Parker into making with a few changes. Mark told me he also had the fuel tank moved forward a little. Anyway, this was the boat for me and I am very, very happy with it and the notch transom. Soon after that the notch transom became an option. I’m not really sure how it all came to be, just glad it did.

I made a custom drop in board to fit across between the battery compartments. I do get a little water on the deck sometimes but as stated before it’s not a problem just shows everyone why they make fishing boots. I also think if I put a couple of little flapper things on the back of the board I can probably keep all the water off the deck, but that’s another project for later (not very high on my to do list). Sure wish I could figure out how to make my fish locker water tight.

I had a cut-out trasnsom boat and used a splashguard whenever venturing offshore, but I modified it so it would stand up (hopefully) against an oncoming and incoming wave, but would fold down against water trying to exit out of the rear of the boat.

People can interpret statistics anyway they want, but almost 1/3rd of boats that sink OFFSHORE do so when a wave walks right up and thru the boat, swamping it in less time than it takes you to read this. Reference Boat/US files, click here.

Reference Boat/US files, click here. "Transom wells are sometimes poorly designed....."

A great majority of articles with boating statics fail to provide sea conditions for a particular incident. If we were to go back and collect detailed information surrounding each event, I would be confident to say, most would point to the Skipper's lack of experience allowing him/herself, and those on board, to be put in harms way. On days when 100’ head boats won’t leave the dock, you’ll always find a few recreational vessels on the water battling the elements. Another percent added to the statics.

With the enormous growth of the boating population each year, most, and this includes a large percent of old salts, have no regard for boating safety. My opinion, maybe 10% of the total recreational boating population have enough experience and boating knowledge to be safe on our waters. "Classic Parker" and many other websites are available and continue to provide help with educating the newbe.

JC":1tzajxfd said:
Reference Boat/US files, click here. "Transom wells are sometimes poorly designed....."

A great majority of articles with boating statics fail to provide sea conditions for a particular incident. If we were to go back and collect detailed information surrounding each event, I would be confident to say, most would point to the Skipper's lack of experience allowing him/herself, and those on board, to be put in harms way. On days when 100’ head boats won’t leave the dock, you’ll always find a few recreational vessels on the water battling the elements. Another percent added to the statics.

With the enormous growth of the boating population each year, most, and this includes a large percent of old salts, have no regard for boating safety. My opinion, maybe 10% of the total recreational boating population have enough experience and boating knowledge to be safe on our waters. "Classic Parker" and many other websites are available and continue to provide help with educating the newbe.

Absolutely. I've been boating for more than 50 years, in boats ranging from 8' dinghy yachts to 45' offshore rowboats, with a few sailboats tossed in for good measure. Early on, as a little kid, I learned what ocean waves could do to a small boat.

Couple of seasons ago, I was leaving the Pax River in southern Maryland for the Bay. Soon as we got out there, I was encountering six foot breaking waves. Rather than head back to where I wanted to go, I turned tail and shot back to the safety of the river. I am sure I could have made it back, but...there was no reason to even try.

I had an 18' Robalo center console with a notched transom similar to a 21' Parker CC. I ran that boat in some pretty rough conditions for 5 years and never had a problem with the transom, except once.

We were slow trolling in maybe a 1' to 2' wind chop with a few white caps, and one cap decided to break in just the right spot so as to flood the rear deck with about 12" of water through the transom notch.

The water drained out through the scuppers in probably less than a minute, and there was no harm done, except for some wet feet, but since then I've opted for the bracket setup.

I suppose both alternatives have their +/-.

I had an 83 formula F233 with a low transom. The first time I hooked a tuna I noticed 45 minutes into the fight that there was a foot of water in the cabin....! Yikes it was low !!

My 2510 DV has a notched transom. I have backed down in all kinds of crap and it has never been an issue. I RAREly have anything come over the back. The 30" shaft make all the difference in the world. I don't think 30 inchers existed in the early 80's.

Hello,
New to the forum here, but this post got me thinking. My new Parker 2520 has a notched transom. I see alot of the other ones don't, or they are using an Armstrong bracket. Is this going to be an issue? We have an Aquasport 250 Express right now, with a completely open transom. I know exactly what everyone is talking about. A couple people on the back of that Aquasport fighting a fish and next thing you know, wet feet, cooler is floating and it's like a small flood in the back.

I think the Parker is alot taller at the bow however and this shouldn't be an issue. Here's a picture of the back of my boat. Does anyone honestly think this is going to be a problem, or should I start looking for an Armstrong bracket now? Thanks again.. newbie question, but Parkers are completely new to us.
open-transom.jpg

"un-wired",

I used to fish an 18 ParkerCC with 3 others, 30 gal livewell, and all the ice we could carry 30 miles off the beach. Ever heard of Frying Pan Shoals or Cape Fear River? :shock: Never a problem.

As far as "backing down" goes. What would one expect? DUH. I've caught sailfish on light spinning tackle, king mackeral w/3#'s drag, blackfin tuna with SpeedMasters and never, once, had to "back down".

Ever heard of "Graveyard of the Atlantic"? Well, that's where Parkers are made. IMO, you're fishing the strongest and most seaworthy boat money can buy.

Back