Where would you install a kicker?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Themis

Reaction score
I have mostly seen kickers installed on the port side. I have a swim platform and ladder there.

Would you move the ladder/transom to the starboard side and install a kicker on the port side? Would you just install a kicker on the starboard side?

Also, would you have the kicker completely independent from the boat's existing fuel system (ie have it set up to a portable red tank)? Safety is my primary reason for wanting a kicker. In the attached Whaler thats appears to be what is done, but maybe that's more practicle on an 18 foot boat.

Attachments

• parker.jpg
    parker.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 804
  • Cetaceous2.jpg
    Cetaceous2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 801
I wouldn't think it would make a difference which side the motor was on. If you always went out alone it might help balance out the wieght of the captain on the starboard having the kicker on the port.

I happen to have a system where the same fuel is used. The main fuel line has a valve that diverts to the two different lines each with it's own racor.

I thnk there is a good arguement to have a different fuel tank especially when filling the main tank at marinas. If the failure of the main engine comes from bad fuel the kicker will follow closely behind.

Good Luck!

Richard

esfishdoc":321ik7s9 said:
I thnk there is a good arguement to have a different fuel tank especially when filling the main tank at marinas. If the failure of the main engine comes from bad fuel the kicker will follow closely behind.

Richard makes a very good point, though it would also mean you would have to go to the trouble of buying fuel for each tank from a different source, which might not be practical.

Thanks Gentlemen. Can you make a case for the kicker bing installed on either side of my boat, given that its starboard side faces my dock? Move the ladder/platform? Leave as is?

Also what do you think of having a second station steering in the cockpit that is solely hooked up to a kicker (steering independent from inside the cabin, fuel independent, etc)?

Sal, I don't know that it matters, though an installer might know if there is a reason why you generally see them on the port side. That would be a good question to ask your dealers shop manager.

Maybe the rigging tube or the steering control works best on that side or something?

When I purchased my 25 Parker the kicker was installed on the starboard side. No problems with it there.

As far as using one fuel system, which I did, you have to make sure there is no conflict with the motors with mixing oil with the gas. That is, if you have an older 2 stroke that you add oil to the gas tank (not injected) and say a 4-stroke kicker, you would have an issue with that.

I have a kicker on the starboard side of my 23 DV with no problems. You probably can’t tell the diff on the 25’. I run the kicker from the 2nd port on the Racor. I also carry a 6 gal portable tank with hose and adapter so it plugs right into the kicker in an emergency.

Back