Who is the PARKER hero? A Pilothouse named "Merlin" ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmmmmmmm????????????? Make sure you throw the speared fish on.

As the diver surfaces and swims toward the sinking boat, it looks like the bow anchor has not been used on this dive? Looks like a line is running off the port side that might have been used as an anchor line? If so, would certainly have been a contributing factor to taking water in the stern. Assume the bilge pumps had run the batteries dead and that they could not start the engines to have juice to the batteries....................Pete

There is a lot of troubling stuff going on in that video. (I'm perhaps being a bit harsh as I think SCUBA spearfishing is for sissies). But it is good to analyze this sort of thing and mentally run through the scenario on one's own boat... I'm going to "armchair QB this video and pick it apart - see if you guys disagree with me or find anything else you'd have done differently. (not to make fun or judge, but to instruct ourselves)

1. I think they might have already pulled the hook, expecting their divers back, but it sure looks like there is a line off the stern and the seas are to their stern, lapping up over the transom.

2. The diver that climbs aboard throws his fins on without even checking with the guy on deck that is frantically bailing water. He makes the guy bailing's job more difficult by cluttering the deck and possibly hitting him with his gear.

3. There are spearguns just laying upright at an angle waiting for someone to be impaled. That one scared me the most - all you need when your boat is sinking is to have to deal with a passenger with a 5/16" steel shaft through his chest...

4. That diver climbs aboard a sinking vessel with his tank still strapped to his back (in rough seas) - see my previous comment about being impaled

5. Why didn't one of the SCUBA divers inspect the bottom for holes or to figure out where the boat was taking on water before climbing aboard and making the boat MORE LIKELY TO SINK with the added weight. At the very least, the two guys with tanks and BCs on should have stayed in the water to lessen the weight on board unless the skipper asked them to come on board to help. Keeping those motors up and out of the water is pretty much the only hope at that point (get underway so the drains can do their jobs.)

6. I didn't hear the skipper confirm the location coordinates with USCG, and it sounded like they had poor radio contact.

7. I never heard the skipper instruct everyone to don life jackets and prepare a ditch bag/box. There is only one guy with a PFD on at about the 08:30 mark. It seems like he got the idea for the PFD after the boat capsized and he went back under the boat to retrieve it...

8. At first they let the cooler float off. Guys - your boat is sinking: tie everything together and prepare to raft as a group with everything that floats!

9. The skipper grabs his spear gun when the boat capsizes. Huh?? That's a $200 or maybe $300 gun. Not only is it useless and taking a hand that could be used for something USEFUL, it is dangerous to his mates when they raft up.

10. They are allowing themselves to drift from the boat - they should stay close, maybe with a line tied to the boat or something...

Its a bit scary to watch something like that - it is all of our worst nightmares. Of course out here in CA, with 65 degree water, people would have been in serious trouble if they'd waited over an hour for rescue.

As one of our local CG Aux. safety inspectors recently told me "There is no bilge pump that works as well as a frightened man with a bucket..."

SBH2OMan":16xeoz3z said:
There is a lot of troubling stuff going on in that video. (I'm perhaps being a bit harsh as I think SCUBA spearfishing is for sissies). But it is good to analyze this sort of thing and mentally run through the scenario on one's own boat... I'm going to "armchair QB this video and pick it apart - see if you guys disagree with me or find anything else you'd have done differently. (not to make fun or judge, but to instruct ourselves)

1. I think they might have already pulled the hook, expecting their divers back, but it sure looks like there is a line off the stern and the seas are to their stern, lapping up over the transom.

2. The diver that climbs aboard throws his fins on without even checking with the guy on deck that is frantically bailing water. He makes the guy bailing's job more difficult by cluttering the deck and possibly hitting him with his gear.

3. There are spearguns just laying upright at an angle waiting for someone to be impaled. That one scared me the most - all you need when your boat is sinking is to have to deal with a passenger with a 5/16" steel shaft through his chest...

4. That diver climbs aboard a sinking vessel with his tank still strapped to his back (in rough seas) - see my previous comment about being impaled

5. Why didn't one of the SCUBA divers inspect the bottom for holes or to figure out where the boat was taking on water before climbing aboard and making the boat MORE LIKELY TO SINK with the added weight. At the very least, the two guys with tanks and BCs on should have stayed in the water to lessen the weight on board unless the skipper asked them to come on board to help. Keeping those motors up and out of the water is pretty much the only hope at that point (get underway so the drains can do their jobs.)

6. I didn't hear the skipper confirm the location coordinates with USCG, and it sounded like they had poor radio contact.

7. I never heard the skipper instruct everyone to don life jackets and prepare a ditch bag/box. There is only one guy with a PFD on at about the 08:30 mark. It seems like he got the idea for the PFD after the boat capsized and he went back under the boat to retrieve it...

8. At first they let the cooler float off. Guys - your boat is sinking: tie everything together and prepare to raft as a group with everything that floats!

9. The skipper grabs his spear gun when the boat capsizes. Huh?? That's a $200 or maybe $300 gun. Not only is it useless and taking a hand that could be used for something USEFUL, it is dangerous to his mates when they raft up.

10. They are allowing themselves to drift from the boat - they should stay close, maybe with a line tied to the boat or something...

Its a bit scary to watch something like that - it is all of our worst nightmares. Of course out here in CA, with 65 degree water, people would have been in serious trouble if they'd waited over an hour for rescue.

As one of our local CG Aux. safety inspectors recently told me "There is no bilge pump that works as well as a frightened man with a bucket..."
a lot of good points!

Back