windlass

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reellucky

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of my 2320 and want to install a windlass.
Debating between the lewmar v700 and the pro fish 700.
I know pro fish has free fall option and vertical has safety to prevent accidental deployment while underway. I fish middle Chesapeake and generally anchor in 40 ft or less water. Any input from someone who has either setup on their boat would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance
Tony

have used the pro fish free fall for 4 yrs. no prob. use the 3 strand and use it to pull the boat to the anchor on occasion or at least part of the way ( till i remember ). don,t use it properly most of the time, no prob. the only prob. was not having the safty wire on anchor clevis and watching a brand new anchor vanish 1 mi. out of mikes marina. as soon as i say no prob. i will prob. have one. tinmantoo bel air md.

Get the Pro Fish and the Remote control.

I pick up power from a Start battery to operate the windless.

The reason is the windless should not be used to drag the boat around....But rather move the boat with it 's motor.....So the motor is running and Alt is putting out 14.2V. While the windless is in operation.

I also opt for larger cable. [4ga] to the relay....Relay installed within the length of the cables that come from the factory on the windless itself. Can't remember if they are 8ga or 6ga off the top of my head.

Scroll down on this page.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12419&start=400

I fish a 2320 and have a pro fish 700 that has worked fine for me for over 6years now. I did find that using standard 3strand rode with it just invited hockles to form over time and no end of grief. Switched to 8plait line and a swivel ahead of the anchor; much better performance. Plus I could easily fit 300ft. of line in the locker. Use at least 20ft. of chain to aid setting.

warthog is right- don't use the windlass to pull the boat around but drive to the line while retrieving and pull it free as you pass over it.

Use at least 20ft. of chain to aid setting.

It requires 1/4in BBB or 1/4in G4 chain...You have to have one or the other. Your hardware store galv. chain will not work.

I use the boat length to determine how much chain. 23ft boat= 23ft of chain. 25ft boat = 25ft of chain.

Note the swivel attached to the anchor.

100_5157_zpsc13e7e8b.jpg

or you can order the custom 8 plait and chain combo from www.defender.com
They also price match. I bought my lewmar 700 FF from them. It came with the switch,contactor and circuit breaker. The factory suggested 1/2 inch 8 plait. Defender made that up for me also and delivery was quick. You can call them at 800-628-225 and they will answer questions and help you with your choices. Good luck. My Lewmar has been mostly troublefree. If you fish any reef sites you will need the freefall windlass.

I decided on the lewmar 700 pro fish with free fall and ordered that and 150 ft of 8 plait rope with it. Thanks for all the feedback

Warthog do you use freefal

Absolutely! I wouldn't have it any other way.

A power down unit would be useless to me.

Think about it.....Your trying to fish on a small target wreck. If you have to power down the drift and current will take you far from the spot you wantyed to be on. It's bad enough with a FF and sometimes you may have to reset 3 times before you get it right.

150 ft of 8 plait rope with it.

With a 3 times the depth on scope "YOU" may be fine in your fishing grounds, but that would never work for me. That is why I expanded the size of my anchor locker and have 600ft in there.

By the way.....The cheapest 1/2in 3 twist is here: I've bought it several times there...But I just drive over and pick it up.

http://www.brunsonnet.com/index.cfm?fus ... gory_ID=29

Well it use to be under a $100 for 600ft Now.......600ft $153.....300ft $87

I would go with at least 200ft. just for the proper scope reason. My 2120 holds 220 ft. of 8 plait or more. I know your 2320 would hold more than that.JMO Good luck I know you will enjoy your Lewmar

how does that rope hold up from brunsonnet that's a good price and I am thinking of replacing my anchor line and is that a fortress anchor how do you like it ive herd good and bad

Warthog thanks, I fish Lake Erie current is not as big issue as waves. The reason I ask is because a friend has f/f he is against it don't know why. I am debating the conversion for mine. The Fortress is the only anchor that would hold my 27' Cat in 3'-5' waves. I switched to 8plait 220'+ 30' chain I could put 400' easily in my 2320 rope locker no need, if I need 400' I would be in 7'-10' waves no thanks.
thanks Walt

Good afternoon fellas. I just bought a LewMar pro-fish 700 free-Fall and plan on installing it on my 2320SC. Does anyone have so pics of what theirs looks like installed on bow. I see warthog build a bracket to make it higher in which i like but i don.t think it will work on my 2320 because of the anchor locker location. I have 600 ft of anchor line so it pretty much fills my anchor locker full. thanks

Good afternoon fellas. I just bought a LewMar pro-fish 700 free-Fall and plan on installing it on my 2320SC. Does anyone have so pics of what theirs looks like installed on bow. I see warthog build a bracket to make it higher in which i like but i don.t think it will work on my 2320 because of the anchor locker location. I have 600 ft of anchor line so it pretty much fills my anchor locker full. thanks
Hi Hali-Bootie, here's a 'snip' of our Pro-Fish 700.... I also have a dozen videos of it if interested. Although I don't have an issue with the anchor rode 'piling up' in the rode locker, with your 600 feet it would help to mount yours farther back (Like Warthog does), over the deeper part of the rode locker. Otherwise you may have to occasionally go into the cuddy cabin to manually pull the anchor line aft in the locker. Installing it aft, off the pulpit, over the hatch is a bit more complicated, but still very doable. From there, the line drops in the deepest part of the rode-locker.
1711402449625.png

Last edited:
Back