Woody Wax vs Fluid Film

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltyfish

Reaction score
Anyone done a comparison of Woody Wax and Fluid Film on non-skid decks? Came across several postings on THT claiming that FF was just as good, possibly a very similar product. Perhaps the chemist types on CP will chime in.

Thanks,

Bryce

I've only used the woody wax 1 time. It didn't seem to last very long?? I would like to know if its supposed to be applied after several cleanings back to back for it to penetrate more? Trying to keep things from staining deeply into the non skid seems to be like fighting a loosing battle. Is there a better alternative to seal them after a good cleaning?

Our CP colleagues that have the pristine bilges must also have a solution for keeping the non-skid clean. i just redid my non-skid, i'm delighted with the results, but would like to keep it as clean as possible without using half a bottle of bar keepers friend every time I go fishing (slight exaggeration...but you get the picture).

I know a guy who used the bar keepers on an old Henry O hull he was fixing up and it really made it look like new. It took several applications though. I didn't think about using it on the non skid?? He told me it penetrated the gealcoat and lasted longer than wax?? If your using that already, I would think it would do better than the woody wax?? I might try that myself unless someone chimes in with a better alternative.

saltyfish":2iqb1vl9 said:
Our CP colleagues that have the pristine bilges must also have a solution for keeping the non-skid clean.

When I wash my boat, the last area to get done is the cockpit non-skid.
For that area, I add some liquid bleach to the wash water and scrub down the deck.
Let the soap and bleach solution sit for awhile, then rinse lightly.
Any bleach left behind will brighten the cockpit floor in conjunction with the sun after the deck dries.

Kevin, I do the same process when cleaning mine. Always last and with some bleach. I just wish that the bleach was only nescessiary on those occasional cleanings and that there was something that would seal and protect them from penetration for at least several months? Might give that bar keepers a try?
Tks

Be careful with BKF, its main ingredient is oxalic acid.

Oxalic acid has toxic effects through contact and if ingested; manufacturers provide details in Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS). It is not identified as mutagenic or carcinogenic; there is a possible risk of congenital malformation in the fetus; may be harmful if inhaled, and is extremely destructive to tissue of mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract; harmful if swallowed; harmful to and destructive of tissue and causes burns if absorbed through the skin or is in contact with the eyes. Symptoms and effects include a burning sensation, cough, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, spasm, inflammation and edema of the larynx, inflammation and edema of the bronchi, pneumonitis, pulmonary edema.

I use it from time to time, I'm not sure how good it is at sealing and protecting, but it does get everything pretty darn clean. I usually let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse.

I have had great results with StarBrite Non Skid cleaner with PTEF ( Teflon), this product you squirt it on, brush it in, wait about 3 minutes, brush again and rinse, it leaves a Teflon type coating which helps the next time you need to rinse/clean deck. Trick is to leave it on deck for a while to loosen all dirt,blood,ect.ect

I don't know if you guys have ever tried this but, if you find a stubborn spot that will not come off. Buy some oxiclean clothes detergent and sprinkle it on the the said spot. put just enough water on it to make it like a paste. Rub around with either your fingers or a brush. I usually let it sit 5 to 10 minutes. Then rinse it off. Works really well!

I used to use Bar Keepers Friend on my old Mako, and I admit, I have used it VERY sparingly on my Parker: Tim is right, oxalic acid is rough stuff especially on gelcoat. It WILL dewax the area you apply it. I have switched to "Brightsides deck cleaner with PTEF" as well, and the results are AMAZING! A magic eraser works well on small organic stains from blood or leaves, pollen, etc... But, the PTEF from Brightsides just LIFTS dirt and grime away and leaves a slick (though NOT slippery) surface for easier cleaning next outing.

Brent":nalxkjba said:
Does your neighbor running a detailing business have a recommendation?

On aluminum pipe surfaces, he uses polish and wax applied by hand.
On 'splatter non-skid' like we have on our washboards and cabin tops, he uses Meguiers cleaner wax applied with a Makita and a wool pad.
Nothing on the cockpit floor so far as I know. Just scrub and go, but his business is big cruisers, not fishing boats.

I have used Woodys on my cockpit non-skid (and have about a gallon of it left), but I have to say I'm not enamored with it.
It needs to be applied *very* thin, according to the directions or you will have horrible results.

I do have some of that Starbrite deck cleaner with PTFE, but have not used it yet, but hope to by next week.

Back