Yamaha 250 advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found a 2006 2320 with a Yamaha 250. Approximately 1500 hours.
My question is anyone running "older" yamahas still and if so any problems??
My concern is finding parts and keeping it running if I were to buy the boat.
I really want to run a season before even considering a repower.
Any advice would be great!
Thanks

Found a 2006 2320 with a Yamaha 250. Approximately 1500 hours.
My question is anyone running "older" yamahas still and if so any problems??
My concern is finding parts and keeping it running if I were to buy the boat.
I really want to run a season before even considering a repower.
Any advice would be great!
Thanks
Still plenty of Yamaha F250s of that vintage running. The F250 of that time frame is regarded overall as an excellent engine although there is a significant known issues with mid section exhaust corrosion in Yamaha 6 cylinder engines of that vintage. The issue tends to be a bit more prevalent in the F225 then in the F250 but the F250s are not immune. If you google “Yamaha Midsection Exhaust Corrosion” you will find a lot of information on the subject.

You should also inquire if the midsection on the engine you’re buying is the original or if it has been replaced. You’re also going to want to know when was the lower unit last removed with at least a visual inspection performed on the midsection. A visual inspection does NOT rule out the presence of corrosion, the only way to do that is with a removal of the powerhead but the visual inspection can be helpful in confirming the existence of corrosion .

That is the 3.4 liter version. Still lots of life as long as it was/is maintained well. Has it had a 1000 hour service? That should include a timing belt and anodes. With records of regular maintenance should be fine.

One thing to check would be the mid section for any signs of corrosion. A bunch of Yamaha engines from that era experienced corrosion problems and the fix is pretty expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.
The boat is brokered so I have to have an accepted offer and deposit before I can get a survey and engine inspection.
The corrosion is a big concern that's why I'm reaching out to you guys and gals.

Another concern with that engine is that the oil pump seal will groove the end of the crankshaft causing an oil leak. The only fix is pulling the powerhead and replacing the oil pump/seal and installing a speedie sleeve on the crank. No big deal if you are mechanically inclined but a couple of grand if you are not. Mine happened at about 1100 hours. Does it happen to all of them ...who knows?

Another concern with that engine is that the oil pump seal will groove the end of the crankshaft causing an oil leak. The only fix is pulling the powerhead and replacing the oil pump/seal and installing a speedie sleeve on the crank. No big deal if you are mechanically inclined but a couple of grand if you are not. Mine happened at about 1100 hours. Does it happen to all of them ...who knows?
Thanks! Bummer thing is there has to be an accepted offer and deposit before I can even start my inspections. So no looking at maintenance logs are surveys etc etc. Sucks

Thanks! Bummer thing is there has to be an accepted offer and deposit before I can even start my inspections. So no looking at maintenance logs are surveys etc etc. Sucks
I had this happen on mine, resolved it for about 400$ in parts and half a Saturday.

I know you're focused on the engine regarding this purchase, but I would also be concerend about the fuel tank(s). The Parker tanks have a life expectancy of around 20 years (+/-).

My 2008 F250 still going strong at 1300 hours. Engine just purrs.

Only issue is a clogged water cooling line so I can’t flush the motor via hose. Water pump cooling is fine. Virtually infix’s or ad you need to remove cyl heads to access the 90 degree nipple to address the clog. Not worth it.

Check this flushing if you can as others have this same issue.

The fuel tank was another concern also. I guess I could come in with a lower offer and go from there or just try and find a better 2320 and pay more. Need to throw some WTB posts out there.

Back