Yamaha and Garmin networking

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labarca1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2022 23se with F250 and Garmin 8612xsv. I am working to network all electronics and have a question when it comes to the engine.

Is it best to network the engine via the j1939 connection on my Garmin or patch the engine into the nmea 2000 backbone that the rest of the electronics are networked?

The motor has a Yamaha command hub with two free device ports. I need to know which is the best gateway for networking the engine.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Networking is Clogging.

What?..........Lets start by asking....Why do you have a MDF ?

Most folks want mapping / GPS ......and to be able to see fish.

Then you step up and add Radar.

Do you have engine gauges ? If so....No need to network.... You will need a GPS input to get fuel mileage.

So What am I talking about ?

When you switch the screen to engine / engines.......Thats what you have.....AND loose all your Mapping/ GPS and Fish finding capability.

Yes engine is neat to look at.........For about 2min. :(

Reactions: A-K
Networking is Clogging.

Do you have engine gauges ? If so....No need to network.... You will need a GPS input to get fuel mileage.

When you switch the screen to engine / engines.......Thats what you have.....AND loose all your Mapping/ GPS and Fish finding capability.

However, if you have more than one MFD you can leave one set for navigation/auto pilot/radar all over printing on one screen and cycle through all the other screens on the other.

I hooked up using the J39 I get fuel remaining at a glance without having to do math. What I found though is that you have to have the Garmin on before starting the engine to get accurate readings. Also, it is important with either configuration to go to the engine page and add fuel or fill tanks to get accurate fuel remaining. With the J39 connection you will also get the Yamaha page on the Garmin.

Networking is Clogging.

I understand your point however I would still like the option. Looks like the appropriate cord is only 30 bucks so why not.

if you have more than one MFD you can leave one set for navigation/auto pilot/radar all over printing on one screen and cycle through all the other screens on the other.

I do many with 2 screens....In fact I have one coming in a week and half.....

Typical is Nav on the one in front of steering wheel and fishfinder on the other.

Ironically....It only has one MFD at the moment and No gauges.......In the dealer's /Factory infinite wisdom on the installation they thought that would be fine.

The owner hates it.... He said "I go to the engine screen.....get the boat going and switch to split screen at the moment. Has a 9in Simrad.....It's getting another 9in Simrad and updating the X-Ducer from 600watt tilted element to 1000 watt tilted element.

Reactions: A-K
Just a follow up… I also needed to get a Yamaha female to female wire for the hub even though I have empty device ports. Below is the part number. Not sure why Garmin puts a male end on their adapter cable.

2 Foot Pigtail Bus Harness Yamaha 6Y8-82521-11-00

I understand your point however I would still like the option. Looks like the appropriate cord is only 30 bucks so why not.
I always like to see fuel remaining and on the Garmin once connected to the yamaha you can get an info box showing that info. This way I get the chartplotter, sonar and engine info I want all on one screen.

Final update… I installed the wire and female to female adapter using the j39 port and it works great. Three Yamaha screens automatically popped up on my 8612 Garmin. Thanks all for help

Back