Yamaha releases their 300hp 4-stroke ...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

FOUNDER of Classic Parker Forum
Reaction score
Yamaha Marine Group Announces New F300 V8 Outboard
Oct. 8, 2007
Yamaha Marine Group today announced it will offer a 300-horsepower outboard based on the V8 5.3-liter, four-stroke Yamaha F350. Called the F300, the new outboard fills a niche in the marketplace for single and twin applications.
The F300 is for boats with transoms that are limited to 300 or 600 horsepower -- boats that need a lot of thrust but not all the power of an F350.
Like the Yamaha F350, the new F300 gets all the latest Yamaha technology, such as:
• Ionic combustion sensors that constantly monitor combustion conditions and adjust spark timing;
• A dimpled outer cylinder sleeve to reduce oil consumption; the new Enhanced Ultimate Corrosion Protection System (UCP-II™) with additional sacrificial anodes;
• An innovative internal paint process and new-generation head gaskets;
• Yamaha’s Command Link® Digital Electronic Control system with redundant electronic engine control, automatic multi-engine synchronization and electronic throttle and shift.
Exclusive features include:
• Operates using 87 octane gasoline rather than 89
• Fuel and ignition maps designed to optimize power using lower octane gasoline
• Available in February 2008.
Please consult the YMBS “sales” tab to find detailed program and confidential pricing information along with a Quick Reference Guide for the F300/F350.
Contact your District Marketing Manager for additional information.

=============================================

At least it allegedly makes 300hp without premium fuel ... but an 800 pound motor for only 300hp ... :?: ?

Whaddya thinkin' ? Man, Merc and Suzi are going to kick some butt ...

Very foolish move.

I completely understand what they are trying to do. There is a strong market for a 300hp Four stroke.

They wanted to fill that market. The 3.6liter 250hp v6 four stroke was not capable of doing it so they just take the 350hp 5.3 liter and make it run on 87 octane and WA-LA you have a strong 300hp four stroke to fill the market.

The problem is WEIGHT which all of us know.

The real world weight of a 300hp Verado is 675lbs.

The real world weight of a 300hp Suzuki is 650lbs.

This new 300hp Yamaha, which I am sure is a GREAT engine (not taking anything away from it) is going to real world 875lbs.

That includes props, steering and oil. BALLPARK!!!!!! I am just guessing but I am sure that it is close.

Any boat not build as of Mid 2007, will not be able to handle the weight of that monster. Anything prior to 2002 cant really handle the weight of a 650lb motor!

The 1997 Evinrude V8 300hp 4.0liter Outboard was 575lbs real world weight.

So in 10 years, we have come a long way in fuel economy and accessories but also gained 300lbs per engine. That is alot.

This is very similar to the older 6 cylinder Verado 200hp which 675lbs. I cant believe that they sold alot of those.

Just my 2 cents.

There's a group of naysayers who seem to find fault with everything Yamaha does. Too heavy, too many cylinders, high octane, low octane, too slow, wrong gears in foot, wrong alternator, wrong power steering, blah, blah.

The managements at Regulator, Parker, Grady, Pursuit, Contender, don't seem to mind.

Most of us Yamaha owners just turn the key and head out fishing. 8) :lol: :wink:

I agree about the nahsayers but I am not one of them.

If Yamaha would have been able to get their 3.6 liter 250hp Four stroke to 300hp then I would be singing a different tune.

You cant ignore the fact that this 300hp engine is going to weigh 300lbs more than the 300hp Etec!!!!

I am sure that the 300hp Yamaha will be a fine engine, but I doubt you will see people repowering with this engine.

Just my 2 cents. [/b]

FishFactory":1jb7ggo2 said:
The managements at Regulator, Parker, Grady, Pursuit, Contender, don't seem to mind.

You left off the words "the additonal profit of a yamaha exclusive partnership". :wink:

800lbs for 300hp? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. ha ha ha ha ha ha. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Heck you can get a 315hp Yanmar diesel for less than 900lbs :p
http://www.yanmarmarine.com/products/pd ... chData.pdf

You can special order a Contender with Mercs 8)

Electronic throttle and shift - good!
Making 300 hp while burning 87 octane fuel - good!
850 pound weight - :shock:

I was really looking forward to a 300 Yamaha as a repower option someday. :(

Well...the two F-115s on the bracket on the back of my 2510 weigh about 415 lbs each. So my 2002 hull is holding 830 lbs of motor now. However, if I was repowering I would seriously consider a pair of 150 E-Techs.

Back