Yami stalling issues (UPDATED ON LATER POST)

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSkiff2001

Reaction score
I would like to say Hello to everyone!! I have been lurking on this site for the past few years as I was wishing and hoping for a Parker. Well the day has come and I am the new owner of John from Madisons Parker 2520 DV. I took it out for its first fishing (second actual trip) trip this past Saturday. What better way to give it a test then in a small craft warning? It handled awesome and I love the boat. The amount of space is incredible and a nice step of from my 20 Ft Maritime Skiff.

But....when I had it out on Friday there was a little issue I found and was looking for some help. So heres the situation...the motor starts awesome, idles awesome, sounds perfect at cruise, however when it gets around 4600+ rpms it basically either throttles itself all the way down or stalls. The couple times it did not stall it would kick back in and rev back up again. It never came out of gear so I dont think it has anything to do with the throttle linkage or anything.

After some research it seems like it may be a clogged VST filter. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what it could possibly be.

Just so I start off with a clean slate, in the spring we will be doing new plugs, new low pressure fuel pumps, new VST filter, fuel filter, fuel/water separator. I'm hoping one of these will fix the issue!!!

The second part to this question, will any of these maintainence items cause a significant drop in fuel economy? I connected the Yami fuel management sensor and its said that out of the box they are accurate to 3%. The issue is it said I burned 18 gallons of gas on the 19 mile ride to Niantic from Clinton. Supposedly the boat will get 1.4-2 mpg at cruise (from what Ive read) so Im hoping to god that its something maintainence related that would cause the inconsistancy. Ideas??

759-62031-parker1.jpg

MSkiff2001 It would help if you tell us what motor you have. Also with all the new stuff you plan to replace, if then it runs ok how will you know what it was that fixed the problem? I would check out the vst tank, look for sediment in the bottom of tank (Clean the screen with carb cleaner) and replace the low pressure fuel pumps while on the hard and try in the spring. I had the same problem with 200 HPDI and the lpfpumps solved the problem. If fixed you will know what solved it. If not the other changes can be done while in the water, and done one at a time until you will come across the culprit. Also look into using a 2 micron spin on fuel filter, Andy at SIM has them , I have been running them for 3 years now and only change once a year. I run about 1500 gals. a year. Solved a lot of problems.

Does the fuel management system have to be calibrated after you install it??????????????

Whoops....Its a 2002 Yami OX66 250. Good idea on not doing it all at once and trying to more accuratly pinpointing the issue. I just just figured while it was on the hard to get it all done.

From what I understand, the yami fuel management system accurate to 3%. Basically it says to fill the tank, use the boat, re fill, see how much you used. If its off it could be calibrated plus or minus 3% using little switches on the back of the gauge.

Would any of these maintenance items cause bad fuel economy? or is it possible the new yami fuel management sensor is off?

Most likely either VST or Low pressure fuel pumps id definitely do both. I have the same motor but a 225. I did both of those this past spring and saw a huge performance difference this summer.
Oh yea and these ox66's love the fuel, you may see a little better #'s after changing the VST and pumps, but at the end of the day these motors love to suck down the fuel

MSkiff2001":1utqa2ja said:
Supposedly the boat will get 1.4-2 mpg at cruise (from what Ive read)

In my opinion, the DV hull with a single 2 stroke OX66 2 mpg is really going to be a stretch .8-1.2 is more like it with that setup.

As Mike said, the OX66 likes the fuel, great motor but thirsty.

My fuel monitor is off 10% consistently. You have to do the fill it up and see what it used for an accurate understanding.

Don't know anything of the engine you mentioned. When my F150 started sputtering and running rough it turned out to be the injectors. Which were easy to send in and get cleaned. Changing all your filters is a job and adds up fast. My filters, which I checked first, were very clean, in fact nothing in them at all.

I have a 2005, 2520 deep vee with twin F-150's. Very consistent 1.5 nautical miles to the gallon.

Good luck

Bryan 2530":1oibvkxv said:
MSkiff2001":1oibvkxv said:
In my opinion, the DV hull with a single 2 stroke OX66 2 mpg is really going to be a stretch .8-1.2 is more like it with that setup.

I agree with Bryan, I have the same setup with a DV and 250 OX66. 1.5 MPG on a good day going with the current (lol). Don't forget the strainer at the pressure regulator and the 6 injector strainers. This summer I found both the pressure regulator strainer and injector strainers clogged after 13 years of service (2000 model). So you don't need to do those every year but if your having issues keep it in mind.

Talking to John over the years when he owned the boat, he was surprised that my 2530 with twin 4 strokes got almost double the fuel economy running twins compared to his running a single two stroke according to the Yammi Fuel Computer.

Well this spring we did a bunch of maintainence items on the motor. Low pressure fuel pumps, new VST filter, plugs, etc. So when the boat was launched the first thing I did was take it out and open it up. It didnt stall at WOT so I thought I was in the clear. Fast forward about 150 gals of run time. I was out the other day and noticed the fuel burn numbers were a little high. So I decided to go WOT just to see what it says. What do you know, I get it WOT and it stalls again.

Next to I call the marina and tell them to bring it in for a looks see. Come to find out there was some type of cloth like material clogging the anti siphon valve and also the o2 sensor wasnt responding at all. Once that was all fixed up they took it out without a problem. Also gained about 4-5 mph then what i ever got it up to.

Back