Yes, another Transducer question!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TunaJoe

Reaction score
Looks like I've got my electronics selection narrowed down for my 2007 2520XL to the C80 or E80 Raymarine with the 2Kw radar and DSM300 sounder module.
My question is this: I've done a search on transom mount transducers and could not find much. Are transom mount ducers outdated?
Seems most everyone is using a thru or in hull ducer. I really don't want to cut a hole in the bottom of my boat and then find out it doesnt work that great or it hits one of the trailer bunks, etc.
What would be the best ducer setup with the RM C80 or E80 and the DSM 300?
Thanks!

THRU-HULL TRANSDUCER all the WAY!
You won't regret it.
The performance compared to tranny mounts is night and day!!!

Anyone have the Rm E80 and a thru hull? If so, what brand do you recommend?

Stick with the RM B260 w/ high speed fairing block. Have had it before and was very impressed with its performance!!

If I use a shootthru transducer how do you get water temp?

I really need to make a decision on my transducer.
If I go with a transome mount, where do the wire get run? Rather, where do I drill into the transom?

TunaJoe":1ill6m55 said:
If I go with a transome mount, where do the wire get run? Rather, where do I drill into the transom?

I ran the cable for my transom mount transducer in through the stbd side scupper hole, zip tied it to bracket I found under the gunwal and ran in all the way forward.

For whatever it's worth, I replaced it with a thru hull transducer. I have since added a shoot through. So, I have a thru hull b60 attached to a Furuno 585 and an p79 attached to the sounder of my Garmin 4212. I run the Garmin at 50khz and the Furuno at 200. Works fine.

TunaJoe":1hbunnq1 said:
If I use a shootthru transducer how do you get water temp?

I really need to make a decision on my transducer.

No water temp. You'd have to add a seperate water temp probe off the transom.

:idea: Would you be able to use one of those portable infrared thermometer guns to check the water temp? LoL. They use those on those ghost hunting shows. I think it would work. :lol:

TunaJoe":2dgtcozg said:
what brand do you recommend?

Airmar is the best there is when it comes to transducers.
Many of the OEM transducers are actually Airmar (Furuno being one).

The only way to get water temp from the transducer would be to use a transom mount, or a through-hull transducer.
If you use a shoot-thru transducer, you would need to use a dedicated temp sensor.
Airmar makes these too, but they are through-hull, so you end up drilling a hole anyway.

Fairing blocks are no longer required when using a through-hull transducer.
Airmar makes 500w and 1000w "tilted element" transducers that are flush with the bottom (no fairing block) and also contain the temperature sensor.

I have the 500w Airmar Tilted Element 'ducer connected to a Furuno FCV600L and it works beautifully.

Image-DD7D6FE00D5C11DC.jpg

Thats the info I was looking for about the line going thru the scupper. Thanks. When you place the screws in the transom, do you coat them with 4200?

Thats a great idea about the temp guns!. I've seen those for reasonable prices!

Thanks Kevin!
I made my last post as you were posting yours.
How do you know which Airmar is compatible with my E80?
Does Airmar have a website?
I guess I don't mind drilling a hole, its just that I've heard so much comflicting advice on this subject. (such as I'll knock off the ducer with my trailer, just do the transom mount, its easier, etc)
My ideal ducer is a nice flush mount thru hull with temp and speed. (I guess speed isnt a absolute requirement as I'll get that with GPS)

TunaJoe":3cepdqxs said:
Thats a great idea about the temp guns!. I've seen those for reasonable prices!

You should be able to get one for $100 or so.

I actually have one at home, but never thought of trying it on the boat until today. :wink:

Hey Kevin, are my eyes fooling me? Could this really be? You have a crooked clamp?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• Image-DD7D6FE.jpg
    Image-DD7D6FE.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 661
Thanks Kevin!

BTW, My goal is to keep my bilge as clean as yours!

It looks like youve waxed your bilge pump lol!

96TL":3dl0ffqt said:
Hey Kevin, are my eyes fooling me? Could this really be? You have a crooked clamp?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be the camera angle. :lol:
Yea... that's my story... :mrgreen:

Back