couple fiberglass questions (re-corring) help a noob out!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't answer your sliding door question, although my Parker 2830 has one, which is a sweet accommodation.

To answer your fuel cell capacity question…
(2) 45 gallon fuel tanks seems VERY IN-adequate to me. Let's say you burn 1.8 mpg (have no clue what your fuel burn actually is… but it looks like a 2520 deep V, so this could serve as an average MPG. That gives you 162 mile range (with NO reserve capacity). You are severely limiting your vessel. There may come a day when you want to sell her for whatever reason… THAT will be your limiting factor for a buyer. You could have the absolute sweetest rig on the market, but 85% of the buyers will ignore your vessel due to limited fuel capacity. I would DOUBLE that if at all possible with space. I would look into engineering (2) or (3) tanks total with fuel valves for 180 gallons total. Also, your needs/ wants may change and YOU may want more range eventually..

For the foam, that is a very individual risk assessment to make. Here is why. Removing ALL the foam in the hull WILL make you lighter maybe a couple hundred pounds. If there was rot around your deck/ stringers, its' probably safe to assume your foam is saturated as well: at least a good portion of it. So, removing will lighten your load.

To replace it again when RE'constructing her:

It WOULD provide you positive floatation, and may keep your bow high enough to hold onto if turtled offshore. OR your lower units out of the water high enough for you and your crew to wrap around until help arrives.
My 2830 does NOT have flotation foam from the factory. I have buddy rebuilding a classic Potter hull sea craft from the stringers up. He elected NOT to refoam because of the potential down the line for leaks or water intrusion into the foam at some point, making the hull heavy and sluggish. I somewhat agree with your buddy: if you are using the "foam" to buy you time until help / rescue arrives, you are going to be in your life raft with one or two EPIRB's deployed…so, the foam may become a mute point.
Personally, for me, yeah I 'd ditch the foam…

Remember, PICTURES or it never happened….

A secondary purpose for the foam is sound deadening.
Without it, the water against the hull would sound like beating on an empty oil drum.

sydngoose":9ogeup55 said:
I can't answer your sliding door question, although my Parker 2830 has one, which is a sweet accommodation.

To answer your fuel cell capacity question…
(2) 45 gallon fuel tanks seems VERY IN-adequate to me. Let's say you burn 1.8 mpg (have no clue what your fuel burn actually is… but it looks like a 2520 deep V, so this could serve as an average MPG. That gives you 162 mile range (with NO reserve capacity). You are severely limiting your vessel.

The vessel as it sits burn around 6GPH @ 20knots and 8GPH @ 25 knots. therefore the range is 316NM @ 20 knots and 296NM @ 25knots. She may be an old slow diesel but she is economical as can be. Thus the reason I am considering shedding as much weight as humanly possible. I think if i put anymore fuel on her, she won't be able to get out of the water.

Pics hopefully coming soon. I appreciate all the info!

Megabyte - I agree with the sound dampening. I think once we have the deck back on I'll go sea-trial before I paint it. Then make that decision.

Headed in from offshore now. 150nm to go until we reach port. Then I get to start the long dreaded trudge to the house.

sydngoose":q1l4mi0s said:
Any chance you could post some detailed pictures so I can see how it is built?
Thanks, you've got my gears turning now!

Oh, a diesel... Sweet! I don't know why I assumed gasoline. 3.6mpg is awesome!

Considering loosing 1/2 of your fuel capacity from 90 to 45 would be my last resort.

I'd add larger trim tabs if your hole shot seems compromised. The total weight of 45 gallons of diesel is only 337 pounds. I'd try to remove something else before the fuel: maybe leave the fat guy at the dock ( just kidding)...

Captainsauls":o3uagf5c said:
sydngoose":o3uagf5c said:
Any chance you could post some detailed pictures so I can see how it is built?
Thanks, you've got my gears turning now!

Yes, I'll post pics later this week when I'm back at the boat.

Captainsauls":367g6fow said:
I've read numerous threads on this. I can't find what I am looking for though. There is a dealer somewhere in california that offers the door already converted to a slider.... kicker is you have to buy a new boat to get it.... Anyone done or seen this before?

We have had at least one member here do a sliding door, similar to a 'barn door'.
As I recall, it was in the Projects section and used hardware similar to what you would see in a home barn door.

Megabyte":39x8gpb7 said:
Captainsauls":39x8gpb7 said:
I've read numerous threads on this. I can't find what I am looking for though. There is a dealer somewhere in california that offers the door already converted to a slider.... kicker is you have to buy a new boat to get it.... Anyone done or seen this before?

We have had at least one member here do a sliding door, similar to a 'barn door'.
As I recall, it was in the Projects section and used hardware similar to what you would see in a home barn door.

I was able to find that thread. Not knocking his work in any way, but it's not what i am looking for. I need something a little more substantial and secure. May boat may be left unattended at a marina for days on end with the way I work.

If i have the boat in the slip and get called back to work and don't have time to pick it up, it maybe several days before I can get someone to go get her for me. In the mean time, i'd like to keep the honest thieves out lol.

Thanks!

sydngoose":1rt4j8o8 said:
Oh, a diesel... Sweet! I don't know why I assumed gasoline. 3.6mpg is awesome!

Considering loosing 1/2 of your fuel capacity from 90 to 45 would be my last resort.

I'd add larger trim tabs if your hole shot seems compromised. The total weight of 45 gallons of diesel is only 337 pounds. I'd try to remove something else before the fuel: maybe leave the fat guy at the dock ( just kidding)...

I have been reading several threads and think I am going to go with a 22x9 trim tab set up this time... maybe larger....

i'm going to look into the fuel issue a little harder. 2ea 45 gallon tanks is the same as 1ea 90gallon tank as far as range is concerned. I was just thinking if the wife and the friends were going to the island or goofing off in the bay, I could just fill the FWD tank thus reducing the weight by 382.5lbs. If I wanted to go offshore I could fill both tanks.

Hell if I know what to do lol

In regard to the foam benefit of sound deadening, the alternative would be to "sea deck" or "ocean grip" your deck: both cockpit and the cabin: This will provide an aesthetic appearance and sound deadening as it's closed cell evo foam. I am considering this for at least my cabin (not for sound attenuation, but easy on the feet, super clean appearance and ease of maintenance). Cockpit ? I probably won't go that route, but you can. Here's some pics of the holly over faux teak that I am considering for cabin use on the deck.

open this link for a hydro sport ocean grip did:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... rip.html#b

WHEW has it been a few weeks or what! when I got home it rained every day! then this wanna be storm came (heroine). This thing forced me to pack my stuff and go to the keys fishing for a week!
Talk about some motivation to get my boat in order! over the last 2 days I've cut all the foam out and am preparing to remove the fuel tank. Pics to follow tomorrow!

Well I said the hell with it and my wife and I did some more work this afternoon. We went ahead and got the old fuel lines out and cleaned up a bunch of junk the previous moron owner had installed. I swear he had 20402718492714 screws in this boat and all of them are stripped out, and not a single one has any sealant! Enjoy the before and after pics. We start fuel tank removal tomorrow. Also see the pictures of the termite damage to the foam. Glad I killed all those bastards!
a3a5529881a1b0d1fde09cb30f7451e0.jpg

340b4e9258ec7f18fe36e9d5c2342c23.jpg

87612daa131fa2fb31c50b831d68c36c.jpg

ce1da884d7f0fa659c5b5bc01d1036c5.jpg

22ac1d56fe6d1bbf25a9f0109d8c86cd.jpg

40cb891dc1306640968c9fe53809bbd0.jpg

AFTER

c8c582da5b1697f73045d2ede916744e.jpg

12e0c7a45efa32b4539cb9ad568d2f16.jpg

833257da064ac8b5737e3d5c55fc4a0e.jpg

adb205e34f9c8fac64887bbdb25881c2.jpg

Termites love boat foam.....

9f473bfcc1cc12f474ffe1a817c7030f.jpg

b69a90c18c34ae008f2f8afc6d5a67ac.jpg

701056df72e0e10e70721135b9179bb0.jpg

Let's here the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megabyte":30e8tbyu said:
Termites in the foam ?
Holy shit !

Yea I bought the boat then found them while doing some demo work. Previous owner payed to have the boat tented. I was kind of freaked out but they only ate the foam so that's a good thing.

Today we cut out the bulkhead aft of the fuel tank. The compartment was holding a lot of water. I'm going to assume half of it was rain water from the recent weather as I didn't cover the boat.

(Deck was off and I knew I was cutting it up)

However the bottom third of the foam was wet and waterlogged. So it's safe to say there has been some water trapped in there for a while. I was all excited to see the tank was in fairly good shape.... Then I found a giant hole [emoji1304].... Tank still has the original sticker. I'm going to call the tank manufacturer tomorrow and inquire about a replacement. Also will be lining up the fiberglass work with the local pro. See the before and afters of today's work.

Right after I cut the bulkhead. Notice the water.

255eb6873f919d71b3ed76eea9dd5f26.jpg

No more tank!
d0c19ee6f8eee7518711ab4235965095.jpg

157151dbb828f58f22017ea9836779ef.jpg

c8c14a99f54124e5aa3cce745970df3a.jpg

The tank and the damn hole....
7da7777c2e0a2292c8590497d757a770.jpg

b5a00d008758e05ad0407626e68e6401.jpg

Will keep you all posted. As always lets hear some feedback!

wow. You will feel so confident once that beneath the deck space is refitted. I bet the smell was horrible. Keep up the steady progress…you are closer now than you've ever been.

Are you rebuilding those stringers and knees on the starboard side that run into the transom?

sydngoose":so5xh30p said:
wow. You will feel so confident once that beneath the deck space is refitted. I bet the smell was horrible. Keep up the steady progress…you are closer now than you've ever been.

Are you rebuilding those stringers and knees on the starboard side that run into the transom?

Thanks for the encouragement! The smell was less than pleasing to say the least. I know we are replacing the bulk head I removed, as well as the obviously bad stringer on the port side. Local fiberglass guy will be making some cuts to ensure all other structural members are in good shape, and replace as needed. I'll know more on that once I get the boat to his shop. Most of the stringers have a good sound when you tap them with a hammer, so I'm hoping it isn't to bad.

Just got off the phone with RDS tanks in perry FL new tank will be delivered in 2 weeks. Exact replacement, epoxy coated, shipped to my door for just over 1k.

Boat will be dropped off with fiberglass guru tomorrow and he should be able to get to it in the next few weeks.

Back