2120 Trim Tabs and Nav Lights

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got started on my spring projects today. On the list is changing out the 12x12 tabs for 12x18's and also changing out the red/green and all round running lights for LED's. Unfortunately I only had today to work on the boat and as is the norm, had a few set backs. Thanks to Warthog for his assist with my screw up on the resin mix. Anyway, old tabs and Actuators removed and holes filled with a mix of polyester resin & Cabosil. Also removed the all round light on cabin top and filled those holes. I had a bracket made to move the light to its new location by the spreader light and got that up but no wired. Between the kids using the cabin top for a diving board and my wife likes to put the bean bag up against the rocket launchers to lay out, I decided to move it out of the way. I also didn't get to the Red/Green yet. I hope to get back on the projects in a few weeks and I will try my hand a gel coat to finish covering up and making the old holes look right? I'll post as I go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 923
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 922
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 923
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 922
I'm jealous we still have 4 feet of snow here in Boston!
I have the new 12x18 tabs and Lenco Autoglide and custom switch plate changing "all" fuses to "3" Blue sea 6 way breaker boxes
New stainless helm wheel and Add a battery switch cant wait to start
I might get the inside work done next weekend but I have to wait till at least its 50 deg out for the rest :(
Keep posting on the progress with pics if you can!

Hang in there Sully! You guys have really had your butts kicked up there this winter. I saw your Autoglide and Switch Plate post and also looking forward to seeing installs and how you like that Autoglide. I was thinking about adding some underwater lights. I was wondering if I could wire both windshield wipers to one toggle switch in order to free up a spot for the lights? Do you see any issue with it? My plan was to change out my trim switch with the digital LED style but I think I'll hold off until I see how yours does. Hope spring comes soon and you can start to melt all of that snow. :D

shawnee83
I saw these LED underwater lights I thought they had a cool idea they have a trim tab bracket
Thinking about doing doing them instead of making more holes in transom
Haven't bought them yet but thought Id pass along

http://macrisindustries.com/miu-30-led/

Lucky John":316x4orz said:
Where are you going to relocate the transducer?

I was hoping to just slide it down towards the keel. The installation guide for this transducer says only that it needs to be at least 3" beyond the swing radius of the prop. I think I can achieve that but I'm not sure how far from the tabs I should stay. My unit is a Lowrance HDS 5 which came with the boat. Interesting that my transducer is a Airmatech P66. I must admit that I didn't look into this before I started taking stuff apart on Saturday. I just assumed the transducer was a Lowrance unit. I didn't know you could use another manufacture unit? Anyway, I guess in a perfect world, I would do a thru hull type as I'm concerned with water disturbance from either being to close to the tabs or the prop wash area? To that note, I don't want to purchase a thru hull transducer for this Lowrance unit as long term I'm not sure if I will stick with it. If they are able to hook into other units like a Garmin for example, then that would be good. Needless to say, I'm trying to bone up on transducers to figure this out between now and the next 2 weeks when I go back. Please share your thoughts if you know what's up?

Sully":2ijbqnl5 said:
shawnee83
I saw these LED underwater lights I thought they had a cool idea they have a trim tab bracket
Thinking about doing doing them instead of making more holes in transom
Haven't bought them yet but thought Id pass along

http://macrisindustries.com/miu-30-led/

I've not seen this brand of tab mount style but I've looked at Perko's. Like you, I like the idea of not putting more holes under the water line.

I asked you this question because I think you might be too close between the prop and trim tab and get disturbance. I had the airmar p66 ducer on the last boat and it worked well with my furuno. I think if you wind up upgrading you will probably go with a chirp capable sonar so I would wait until you decide and then go with a thru hull. You will have alot to think about then as the chirp thru hulls range from 300-1200 $$$.

Thanks LJ. I did some reading last night and I think I will stick with the current plan of just sliding it down and keeping it close to the tab. Worst case I will have some disturbance and have go to plan B. At least filling holes where I have bottom paint is not as big a deal to make look good again.

warthog5":1h8tboyw said:
FYI: Airmar makes most X-ducers for all the different manufactures...There are exceptions, but it's rare.

I HIGHLY suggest you read this. http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads ... 247-03.pdf

You X-dcer was put in the Exact wrong spot behind that Strake.

Thanks Warthog. I Googled the P66 & pulled this up on Saturday when I was trying to figure out how to get it off of the mount. They had 5200 all over the bracket, crap job. I noticed the the Strake issue too from the instructions along with the fact that it was level/slightly above the bottom of the hull. Might explain why I would loose my readings sometimes. When I move it down at least I won't have it near the strake as the tab will be going over that by about 3". Hope to get back on it the weekend of the 20th.

Got the 12x18's mounted today. Had to head home tonight so I didn't water test yet. The 5200 needs to cure also, so now it will have at least a week for that before I get back. You can't tell from the pics but I still need to do some gel coat touch ups above the water line and redo the bottom paint. This time without any in the tab mounting plate & hinges. The old ones were damaged by the bottom paint. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'll post water test results next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 703
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 708
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 706
I probably should be waiting to post this update as my sea trial tonight was brief due to my late arrival in Beaufort. My Nav lights are in a dismantled state and I didn't have much daylight, but I ran a quick test down Core Creek (ICW) before heading to Beaufort Docks for the nigh. Anyway, after a few quick runs I can tell you that I was able to hold a solid plane at about 13.5 mph with only partial down tabs. Between the Permatrim and the tabs I can eat up head sea chop without pounding. Winds were in the 20 Knot range for my run. I guess I'll call it a success. If I have other results to share I will post.

Thats Great ! 8)
Congrats!
Im working on mine this weekend
will put in around May 1st
Will update on tabs and Autoglide

Thanks Sully. Day 2 test was still good. Although after fueling to a little over 1/2 tank I'll adjust that plane speed to 14.5. Still a big improvement. Good luck with your install. I will be looking for your post on it. Especially curious about how the Autoglides do.

topwater26":135r645b said:
What was your minimum plane speed before this tab mod, thanks

My original planing speed was around 20 maybe about 19ish with some tabs. Then I raised the motor and put the Permatrim on and that dropped it to about 16/17. Then I did the tabs.

shawnee83":2r7gah0a said:
topwater26":2r7gah0a said:
What was your minimum plane speed before this tab mod, thanks

My original planing speed was around 20 maybe about 19ish with some tabs. Then I raised the motor and put the Permatrim on and that dropped it to about 16/17. Then I did the tabs.

That is good information to have.
My 14 degree hull with a single 225 on a bracket and 24x9 tabs will stay on plane as low as 9 knots if conditions force me.

It's good to be able to get on top and keep the prow into the waves at slower speeds when you need to. It's similar to the charistics of a semi-displacement hull and it's a much better ride in chop while still achieving a decent speed. Better than digging a hole to get the bow up while only achieving 7 or 8 mph or so.

First trip out today to the Cape with the family. Thought I'd post the pics of the finished Antenna and all round light. I also replaced the horn in the late fall with a Wolo Dominator(very loud!) that I ordered from Northern Tool. I think my switch needs to be replaced too as its a little temperamental. I ended up running the VHF Antenna wire down the corner of the front window post area to under the helm with other wires in a chase, then I coiled up what I didn't need and ran it back up to the cabin roof to the VHF. This was my way around cutting it and if I ever relocate the Antenna I will have all the original length. My transition and reception is much better than with the old 3" wip Antenna that I had. Last pic was just of my current scenery of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse. I hope everyone is getting out too and enjoying some Spring weather.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 573
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 573
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 573
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg