Radar mount and things of that nature

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-K

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, time has come. I'm about 1 week out from ordering marine radar package and a kicker for my new 2320.

I've decided on the Garmin 18XHD that will combo with my already installed Garmin 1040XS.

Does anybody have any tips on which Radar mount to buy? I've been reading that 4 degrees tilt is pretty standard with my style of boat.

I'm new to this radar business so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks A-K

A polished stainless one..... The alum one's even through they are powdercoated corroide due to using stainless bolts. The Stainless one will cost more.... But will still look good 5yrs down the road.

Amen on the stainless steel. I used a wedge when I rigged my 2520 last year, not sure if you will need it on a 2320. The powder coated one on my 2120 peeled after one season and got worse each season. Spend the extra and go with the stainless.

I just finished this install a week or two ago. One piece of advice, when you get the holes marked, use a very small bit to do a pilot hole first. Then cut the carpet away on the ceiling where the hole falls. If you go big bit right away, it tears and spins the carpet into a birds nest when you break thru. I made that mistake on the first hole but thankfully, was able to repair the carpet. If you use the Battlewagon mount, triple check the paper template that is comes with, mine was off by about 1/4". I ended up just using the pedestal itself to mark the holes.

Disclosure for those like myself that suffer with "Boat OCD", dome light was then moved slightly to the right so more centered :lol:

Tim, nice instal on your radar. Your pics revealed something else that is of interest to me right now and that is your horn. I put a new one on last year and it's already failed, I think,(may be the switch?). I need to check it still but back to your horn and my theory, I see the rear of yours is block mounted and I have thought about doing the same on mines as I've theorized that water does not drain out of mine and has caused it to fail? Just curious if that is why you mounted yours that way or was it just other reason?

For what it's worth, I ran across the clearance section of PYIINC while researching Kiwigrip the other day. They had some real money savers in their clearance section on radar mounts. Maybe that would work for you. Obviously the guys here know better than I do on this topic but at the price they have listed you could save quite a bit of money and I am sure they are pretty good quality.

https://store.pyiinc.com/collections/cl ... ance-Items

shawnee83":3kw15xbr said:
Your pics revealed something else that is of interest to me right now and that is your horn. I put a new one on last year and it's already failed.

Something I do with mine...
Spray some Corrosion X into the horn, then stuff a paper towel into the bell to soak up any excess. Corrosion X will stain gelcoat.

I do this once or twice a season and my horns work like new.

Shawnee, you are correct. That is a 1" thick piece of starboard cut to match the horn bracket. I also do what Megabyte does annually but that is still my fourth horn since 1999. The current horn is the first to be mounted like you see though, so we will see how long this one lasts.

I just spread the forward clip out and it gives a downward angle. I only had one side of the horn go in 8 years on my 2120. Maybe I was just lucky? :mrgreen:

Tim C, Thanks for the pictures. And great job on the install. I do have some questions if you don't mind me asking.

Is that a 18 or 24 XHD?

What brand and model is the light you mounted?

Have you had a chance to use it on the water in the dark hours? If so how did it work out for you. I want to add the light for early morning and late evening runs.

The way you rigged your radar dome and the light is basically how I want to do my boat.

Thanks!- AK

TimC2520":1bgugcj8 said:
I just finished this install a week or two ago. One piece of advice, when you get the holes marked, use a very small bit to do a pilot hole first. Then cut the carpet away on the ceiling where the hole falls. If you go big bit right away, it tears and spins the carpet into a birds nest when you break thru. I made that mistake on the first hole but thankfully, was able to repair the carpet. If you use the Battlewagon mount, triple check the paper template that is comes with, mine was off by about 1/4". I ended up just using the pedestal itself to mark the holes.

Disclosure for those like myself that suffer with "Boat OCD", dome light was then moved slightly to the right so more centered :lol:

A-K, happy to help. That is a 24xHD. The spot light is a Golight LED Stryker remote control. I had a perfectly good spot light you see below, but the old one was 10" high which may have affected the radar beam looking forward so I swapped it out with the Golight which is only 6" high. I have not had a chance to use it yet as the boat is still in the driveway, but I am anxious to try it out when I splash on the 24th of April. I did fire it up just to make sure it was working because I cut the network cable and used Garmin's field install kit (RJ-45) splice. The network cable you get I believe is 45' long, I think I needed only 5' or so.

I also do what Megabyte does annually but that is still my fourth horn since 1999.

That is why I opted away from trumpet horns. Even the Ortago... All stainless failed on my Mako.

I have instead went with a Ortago inside mount and installed it in the bottom of the Crows Nest box.

Back